FanStory.com - Mom Was Right?by Roxanna Andrews
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Why didn't I listen to my mom? Who knew she was right.
Mom Was Right? by Roxanna Andrews
Why didn't someone stop me? writing prompt entry

Why didn't someone stop me? Why is it that people, especially co-workers and strangers, are so reluctant to tell you that you are walking out in public with your dress stuck in your underwear?

How long had I paraded around like that? How many people saw me? Was my future husband among them? I haven't even met him yet, and now I'm pretty sure I never will. Who wants to marry a girl who has no idea her pink, raggedy underwear are hanging out for the entire world to see?

Now I know why mom always said, 'Make sure your underwear is in good shape. You never know when you'll be in an accident." Why didn't I listen to her? I have to find out now that mom is the wisest person on earth? If I had just listened to her maybe my future husband could forgive the flash show, if only my undies had been in good condition.

But, they weren't. Do you have any idea how much good underwear costs? I don't make enough money to actually shop at Victoria's Secret. My secret is that my underwear is ratty, with holes, and worn out elastic.

Why didn't I feel it? You would think there would have been a breeze, or something to alert me to the fact that my posterior was making an unwelcome appearance. Thank goodness I had been working out. I mean, if my nether regions had been all droopy, and floppy, and cellulitey... I can't think about it.

I thought I was so cute. I had a new dress, new shoes and I was thinking I was all that and a bag of chips. I walked out like I owned the world. Here I am! Look at me! And they did. Now I have to change my name and leave the country.

How do you go back to work and face people after this? Three of my bosses were there, the CEO among them! Yes, a name change, and fleeing the country was in order.

If I can just make it to my desk without anyone recognizing me. Sunglasses, check, big floppy hat, check. No one will notice a thing. Just walk casually, don't hurry, act normal, smile.

I'll just empty out my desk, leave my letter of resignation, and then slip quietly into oblivion.

"How ya doing?"

I jump a mile, then turn slowly. Oh no, it's Jason, Jason the hunk. Was Jason at the reception of "The Hinny Reveal"? I had secretly hoped Jason would be my future husband. That was toast now. Where was a heart attack when you really needed one? Please just let me die.

"I like your hat." He smiles, and leaves.

That was it? I look around. No one is even looking in my direction.

"Are you excited about the reception this Thursday?" Jennifer asks.

This Thursday? Whose reception was I at last night?

 


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story beginning with the words "Why didn't someone stop me?" Beyond the opening lines there are no rules. Maximum word count is 500 words.

Recognized

Author Notes
No underwear were actually revealed in the writing of the story. It was written long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm just reliving the good old stories. Posting a few oldies but goodies so you can see how brilliant I am. You, do see that, right?

     

© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement