FanStory.com - Taking Actionby Bill Schott
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
200 words
Short
: Taking Action by Bill Schott

Winona sat up in bed. The baby was asleep. Through the window she could see the sun was just peaking up over the horizon. She heard the car running and knew that Wink would be heading home to his wife.

Winona was raising Wink's son, Winchell, without as much as a bag of groceries from Wink. He would pick her up occasionally at her work and give her a lift home. This was always followed by a few beers and an hour or two in the hay.

The rent, which took two weeks pay, was due. The roof had three or four leaks in it, and the weather forecast for the next week was for rain. Instead of crying, which was her usual reaction, she thought to use the phone.

Winona had recently joined a support group called Left Holding the Bag. It was made up of unmarried women who were raising children on their own because the already-married fathers knew they would.

She dialed, talked briefly, and hung the receiver back up. Within a half an hour, two cars pulled up outside her house. The doors opened and several women got out. They were there to fix the roof.

 

     

© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement