FanStory.com - Anna's in a coma.by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
part two, Chapter 20
Lonely Hearts Meet
: Anna's in a coma. by barbara.wilkey

Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?

Early afternoon the following day, Paul and Troy stood as Betty, carrying Michael, and Margaret entered Anna's hospital room. The women's eyes immediately darted to Anna's unconscious, bruised body lying in bed.

Betty spoke first, "Has there been any change?"

Troy studied Anna and shook his head. "The doctor hasn't given up hope."

Seeing Ann on the bed, Michael cried, "Mama, Mama, Mama!" He struggled nn Betty's arms. His own flung toward his mother. Betty almost dropped him.

"Whoa, little guy. I almost dropped you." Betty tightened her hold on him.

Margaret put her hand on the child's back. "Let me take him into the hall. You stay with Anna."

Michael's cries became louder. "Mama, Mama...." His voice pierced through the door.

Paul leaned against the door. "I'm afraid Anna isn't going to heal overnight." He paused and studied Anna.

"Anna?" Betty's eyes widened as she turned toward Troy. "Did you see that? She moved!"

"Anna, can you hear me?" Troy held her hand and said, "Dad, tell Margaret to bring Michael back."

Paul held the door open while Margaret carried the child into the room. She glanced at Troy. "What's going on?"

"I think Anna responded to Michael's cries. Come closer."

Margaret brought Michael to Anna's bed. The child leaned away from Margaret's arms and reached for his mom. "Mama, Mama, Mama, Mama!" came from the baby's mouth.

Anna's eyes partially opened, then shut.

"Mama, Mama, Mama...."

Again, her eyes opened then drifted closed.

"She's trying to come back to us." Troy leaned closer. "Anna, please. Michael needs his mom." He rubbed her left hand.

Betty took Michael's small hand and placed it on Anna's. "Maybe feeling his touch and yours will help." She glanced toward Troy.

"Paul, get the doctor. He probably needs to know this and won't believe it. He'll need to see it for himself." Betty motioned toward her husband.

Michael called for his mother, and Anna's eye lids kept moving. Troy, Margaret, and Betty encouraged her to come out of the coma.

*****
Paul returned with the doctor. He took Anna's pulse and listened to her heart. "Both are moving a little faster, but I seriously doubt she'll return from the coma this soon."

"It appears she's reacting to her son's voice." Troy's eyes met the doctor's. "Watch her eyelid movement."

He studied Anna's face. "There's movement, but I still doubt it means anything significant. I don't want to get your hopes up. I think it'll take a week or two." He started to leave. "Sorry."

Anna's eyes opened slowly and she turned toward her son. After a moment, her eyes closed again.

"Did you see that?" Troy exhaled a deep breath.

"I saw it." Tears entered Betty's eyes.

The doctor stepped closer. "I saw it, but I don't believe it or understand it."

Troy rubbed Anna's hand. "What does it mean?"

"I'm not sure what it means, but I'm sure it's good." A smile crept across the doctor's lips.

Anna's eyes opened again. Although they were glazed over, she stared at Michael, who continued crying for his mom.

Anna closed her eyes.

Margaret moved. "Can we get Michael closer without messing up those tubes? I know she's responding to him."

"Comatose patients don't respond to outside stimuli." The doctor sighed.

"That's probably true for regular patients, but Anna's special, she's a fighter." Troy helped put Michael beside his mother.

"We'll see how strong a mother's desire is to reconnect with her child." The doctor stepped into the hallway and called a nurse to help.

With the nurse's assistance, Michael was placed beside Anna. He leaned over and rested his head on his mother's chest. "Mama, Mama," he whimpered.

Troy gently moved Anna's arm across her infant's back. "Please God, bring Anna back. Michael needs his mother," he whispered.

Anna's eyes opened, blinked, then attempted to look at her chest. "Michael?" They closed. Again, she opened her eyes. "Michael." She sighed and closed them.

Recognized

Author Notes
My husband, Brian painted this picture of an Indian Blanket and a chain for me. I think it show's Anna's struggles to find her way out of an abusive marriage.

This post is part two of Chapter 20, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel.

Many of you have asked about my 16 year old Diva. No she has not made up with the kittens, yet. I am really starting to worry about it. It's been two weeks.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement