FanStory.com - The Waiting Roomby Realist101
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Time flies when you're having fun.
The Waiting Room by Realist101

Cheerful laughter rings throughout the halls of the modern clinic, as I sit, trying to be patient while I wait for yet another poking and prodding. This time it's an ultra-sound, and memories of being pregnant come surging back as I try to become invisible in the waiting room. I remember thinking then, all those years ago, that nothing could be as painful as giving birth. I know now, just how terribly wrong I had been. The stent in my ureter is killing me. I can barely walk, let alone live my life. And I wait.

The clinician is kind. So young, vibrant and full of life. She has gorgeous hair too, and I wish that I were her. Or someone like her. Healthy, a good job. I mentally kick myself for wanting things I cannot have. She pushes on my guts and the pain shrieks in glee, laughing at me as I cringe and try not to squirm. She apologizes, and I tell her it's okay. It's not okay. I shouldn't be here. I should be at home. I'd rather do dishes, fight the dust bunnies. I'd rather do windows! I'd rather clean up cat puke. But I'm here, it's not a dream. It's reality. And I don't like it anymore. So I gaze longingly at a huge painting held in a gilded frame.

Just a print, the picture is Italian in nature, where soft sun filters through the leaves of the small trees around it and there are comfortable chairs sitting around a small table. People have been there. The lemonade pitcher is half full; a scarf is draped on one of the chairs and I think of a favorite movie of mine. My mind takes me there ... to Italy. Where art is appreciated, where the people are happy and kind. I shut my eyes and try to block the pain. I want to be someone else, be somewhere else ... .


The dress I wear swishes delicately in the breeze; I am young and healthy again, if even for a moment, and I walk onto the golden villa ... where my new life awaits me, beneath the warm Tuscan sun.


Recognized

Author Notes
Inspired by pain, another doctor visit, and a great movie, called "Under The Tuscan Sun". Take heed of your health...and have a great 2012!

     

© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement