FanStory.com - Robbed Of A Blessingby Janilou
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short and simple Christmas message.
Robbed Of A Blessing by Janilou

















Ten years ago, at Christmas time, a poor, single mother of four tried to give her pastor a gift. The church she attended stood far from their home, and sometimes, after the Sunday service, she treated her children to an 'all-you-can-eat' buffet at the local restaurant.

Standing in line waiting to pay and be seated, she noticed her pastor and his family entering the restaurant. She watched people leaving brightly-wrapped gifts for the pastor in church that morning, but she hadn't given him anything yet and it bothered her. She loved his messages each Sunday, and he had supported her with wise advice through many a difficult time.

Her heart leaped for joy. I know what I can do. I can pay for his family's lunch today. Pulling some bills from her purse, she quickly told the cashier of her desire, and surreptitiously pointed out the pastor. She asked the cashier to say, "Merry Christmas from a friend," when they came through the line.

Without looking back, and hoping he hadn't noticed her, the young mother and her children followed a waitress to their table. The children ran to get their food and she sat alone, pondering the wonderful peace and joy she felt. 

She thought her heart would burst in the delight of being able to give her pastor such a small token of appreciation. Such a simple thing, really, and yet, it brought her more happiness than she could have imagined. She beamed, thinking of how surprised and delighted he would be, to receive her gift. Christmas bells chimed in the background as she basked in the warm comfort of giving.

Seconds later, her pastor approached her table, money in hand. 

"I can't accept this," he said. "You can't afford it." Placing the money on the table, he walked away.

She hung her head, and her heart sank, as tears streamed from her eyes. 

Her children returned with full plates, and sat down. "What's the matter, Mama?" they asked.

"Nothing, sweetheart. Just enjoy your dinner."

"Aren't you going to get some food?" her daughter piped up.

"No. I'm not hungry any more," the mother replied. She forced a smile and buried her tears.


You see, in that instant, that well-meaning man had robbed her of a blessing. She didn't call it by name that day, but years later, she heard a well-known speaker on the radio talking about just such a situation. His gentle warning to those recipients of an unexpected kindness was this:

"When someone gives a gift from the heart to you, be careful you don't rob them of a blessing by refusing to accept it.

"It might seem ridiculous, impractical, or over-the-top, but if it's given freely, without strings or ulterior motivation, please accept the gift graciously and say a simple thank you.

"God will bless their hearts, many times over and above any sacrifice they might have made to extend their gift to you."


Perhaps it will never happen to you, but if it ever does, try to remember the act of giving is far greater than that of receiving, and bless them back, by not robbing them of that joy.


Recognized

Author Notes
I thought of this for the first time in a long time today, and wanted to share it with you. It was on my heart, so here it is. If you tell me the pastor was only doing the right thing, you've missed the point. It seems a few reviewers are wondering, so I will add: this is biographical and yes, the young mother at the time, was me. My pastor is a wonderful man who cares deeply for his flock and is a good shepherd. Just so happens, he's human, like the rest of us, and can make mistakes.
Merry Christmas to everyone.

Jani

     

© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement