FanStory.com - Front Line Runnerby Barry Penfold
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
In World War 1 European battlefields were ferocious.
Front Line Runner by Barry Penfold
Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry
Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

"Corporal, take this letter to Captain Taylor, Third Battalion. They are currently on the front line."

"Yes Sir. Do I need to wait for a reply?"

"Yes, I think it better that you do. I am keen to know his decision as quickly as possible."

"Sir, I have a way of cutting down the time it will take."

"You do. Well that sounds promising. May I ask how you will achieve this time saving?"

"Yes Sir. I have been running the front line for nearly twelve months and have an excellent knowledge of just where the enemy are located. They also, unwittingly, have provided a route which is quicker and safer."

"Excellent corporal. I must say, I am amazed you are still alive. Clearly, it is one of the most dangerous jobs in this infernal war."

"Well, I am pretty quick Sir and God has seen fit to keep the bullets away. Although, there have been several times I expected to have a number of bullets up my ass. My time up, so to speak."

"Yes indeed corporal. If God is on your side, then I look forward to seeing you again. Perhaps we could discuss utilizing your knowledge to improve our strategies in the field. Go now corporal, Godspeed."

"Yes sir. I will look forward to our chat. Perhaps a drop of rum as well?"

"That corporal will be my pleasure. And perhaps one for God."




Recognized

Author Notes
This story is a small tribute to my grandfather, who was a front line runner in World War 1. Unlike many others, he returned home to Australia and received the Military Medal for bravery. He rarely spoke about the horrors he witnessed.

     

© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement