FanStory.com - My Tribute to IndianaIrishby jmdg1954
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mom NICU Writer
My Tribute to IndianaIrish by jmdg1954

 
 
 
 
 
 

Yesterday after the post by Tony, tfawcus…

Rest in Peace

Karyn Stockwell - IndianaIrish

I began to write a tribute of my own and then I stopped. I was sad all day by the news. Karyn was a young seventy! She was full of life. Full of love. Full of caring. 

Then today, I read another post, a blind entry for a 5-7-5 contest -

Month of March

Special occasions

Birthdays are celebrated

The March of Dimes Walk

It got me thinking of IndianaIrish again. What better day than St. Patrick’s Day to honor, Karyn Shanahan Stockwell, an Irish Lassie.

We met, by chance, here on FanStory. Karyn enlisted in 2006, I joined in 2009. 

She wrote a poem titled:

Lady Ga-Ga Gag

I submitted a review. She responded. We both agreed the Lady Ga Ga is a tremendous talent, but neither of us was a fan. We kept the dialogue going for two or three days, expressing our love and enjoyment for music. Each of us listing artists and or bands we favored. Many were similar, a few were not. Our friendship base was established.

Afterwards we fanned each other. I benefited by this more than Karyn. She already was a talented writer. Yesterday I perused her portfolio and realized how much so. Nearly every post was Recognized, followed by a high percentage of All Time Best and so many Contest Winners. This included, haiku, senryu, rhyming poetry, flash fiction, serious or comical; she was adept. 

For me, she would scrutinize my posts and provide corrections. She also would make recommendations for improvement. She wrote; I reacted.

Not long after, we exchanged emails. Our friendship now had substance. We shared our lives with each other. Her husband and children, my wife and children and subsequently, grandchildren. It was all on the table. 

We were both fans of American Idol. She really was interested when I told her about one young girl I worked with that made the Top 15. 

We were sports fans. Karyn with the Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears. Me with the NY Yankees and NY Jets. She gave me grief when her Cubbies won the World Series in 2016.

I would tell her what Broadway shows my wife and I were seeing. She would tell me of her concerts she was attending. 

We did this without ever meeting each other. Never FaceTiming one and other. But we knew each other like we were brother and sister.

She was a NICU nurse, giving life, saving babies. I was a Catering Manager, feeding people. Two different worlds. It didn’t matter. Mutual respect was there.

We lost contact when I left FanStory in 2016. I guess that was our bonding agent. But never did a birthday or Christmas pass without either of us sending those balloon emogi’s to each other. She always received one additional one for St. Paddy’s Day, except for this year.

May you rest in forever peace, Karyn Shanahan Stockwell, my Irish Potato. 

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you to the writer of the blind post, Month of March. Without that I may not have completed this.

     

© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement