FanStory.com - The Farewell - Finalby Kaiku
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life
The Farewell
: The Farewell - Final by Kaiku
Book of the Month contest entry

 
DUAL SCENE - KEVIN/FAMILY
FINAL

(In Scene VIII Tim was the eighth of nine children to visit their father)
 
Setting:  The family farewell had taken place on Thursday.  It was now Friday, and all the children are gathered in their Father`s bedroom keeping vigil. Their mother has not left her husband`s side on the bed.  Their dad`s condition has deteriorated significantly.  His cognitive mind-set is gone and he`s being administered morphine on a regular basis to ease the pain.  His lungs are filling up, death is closing in.
 
The ninth and final child, Kevin, had not said his farewell.  He has stepped away and finds himself outside the house, pacing uneasily.  He is distraught.
 
EXT.  LIGHTS COME UP
 
It`s 2pm and Kevin is pacing the front yard.  Father`s bedroom
faces the backyard.  Nobody can see Kevin.
 
KEVIN grief stricken and apologetic, looking skyward.
I`M SORRY DAD.  I CONVINCED MYSELF THAT YOU AND I WERE GOOD. THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER, I COULDN`T BEAR THE IDEA OF SITTING WITH YOU KNOWING IN SHORT ORDER YOU´D BE GONE.  I`M A GUTLESS SHIT!

Pause and still pacing anxiously.
 
YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE FOR ME, MY COACH, MY CADDY…A TEACHER, MY MENTOR.  YOU WERE MY HERO.
 
LIGHTS FADE (smash cut to bedroom) LIGHTS COME UP
 
Everyone except Kevin is gathered around their father. Father is desperately clinging onto his rosary, praying mightily, shaking in pain as his lungs fill and he begins to drown from his affliction.Verses from the Bible are being quoted by each of the children. Linnea administers morphine, now more regularly as the pain intensifies. Father`s feet are becoming discolored; his pupils are shrinking. Once his pupils look like pinpoints, he will be gone. There isn`t a dry eye amongst the family members. Mother has now fully embraced her beloved. Open sobbing is heard by all as father is moments away from God.
 
LIGHTS FADE (smash cut to Kevin) LIGHTS COME UP
 
Silence and re-grouping.
 
I HAD A CHANCE TO TRULY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DID AND I FAILED.  Shouting  I FAILED!   SO WHAT IF I WOULD HAVE CRIED LIKE A BABY IN FRONT OF YOU.  YOU`RE MY DAD.  YOU`D UNDERSTAND...DAMIT!
 
    Stopping with a slight pause closing his eyes and looking downward
speaking softly.
 
FORGIVE ME DAD.
 
Looking skyward again, shouting.
 
I LOVE YOU DAD! 
 
Peggy suddenly appears and catches Kevin`s attention.  Motions him over quickly and whispers that their father is moments away from death.  They quickly go back into the house and join their mom, siblings, and Linnea in offering their Final Farewell.
 
LIGHTS FADE (smash cut to bedroom) LIGHTS COME UP
 
Peggy and Kevin enter the bedroom. There is a quick look up by all noticing their entry. Within minutes of their arrival, the sun begins shining through the blinds of the bedroom window and upon father`s face the light shines. Father is gone.
 
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
THE END
 
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
KEVIN- 52, married, 3 children, B.S. degree, entrepreneur, professional golfer, publisher, salesman, high school and college all-star athlete, principled, disciplinarian, funny, impetuous, stubborn, passionate, introvert 
 
Father- 82, Mother- 77, Peggy- 60, Marianne- 58, Mike- 57, Janet- 56, Martha- 54, Kevin- 52, Carol- 51, Daniel- 47, Timothy- 42, Linnea- 47.

Recognized

Author Notes
Forgive the use of CAPS. Lots of side commentary I didn`t want confused as conversation. The italics was used to show the difference in scenes since this was played out dually on stage.

Kevin was ashamed of possibly crying uncontrollably in front of his dad.

The family is able to say their Final Farewell as a Family.

My father is the player standing behind the woman with the trophy. To the right. He won MVP honors for the game. He was a heck of a player.

     

© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement