FanStory.com - The Escapeby DragonSkulls
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Horror Story with Children contest entry
The Escape by DragonSkulls
    Horror Children's Story Contest Winner 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Daniel heard the door shut and the car pull out of the drive. For the last three days, he's been tugging and pulling at the plastic zip tie binding his hands that are wrapped around a support beam behind him. Being only eight, he knew he had to free himself or surely he'd die in this madman's cellar. The blood from his wrists being bound helped the plastic strap finally slide loose. He wasn't strong enough to pull or break the zip tie from his legs.

Each night, in the empty basement, he'd watch the man go into another room across from him. Repeatedly he'd step back out of the door to glare at Daniel. Each time he had a butcher knife in his hand but never had it with him when he went back upstairs. Daniel hopped across the room and opened the freezer-like door. The stench was horrific. His eyes filled with shock. He had to focus. All he needed was the knife stuck in the wooden table. He had to force himself to ignore the pile of little bodies in the corner. He had to ignore the sewn coat of skin that hung on the mannequin. He only needed the knife, just the knife. He yanked it free from the table, cut the plastic band, exited and slammed the door behind him. His chest was heaving in panic.

He knew the door upstairs was locked. He heard it numerous times. There was a small, darkened out cellar window about eight feet up. With no way to reach it nor anything to smash it, he had no other choice but to go back into the room. Tears filled his eyes as he grabbed the handle.

The huge block table was heavy but inch by inch he tugged it until under the window. He knocked the manikin over without touching the coat, still not looking at the skinless bodies in the corner, then used it to break the tiny window to freedom. He barely fit. 

He dove into the bushes when he saw the car turn in the driveway. It was him. Daniel silently watched the man go inside then heard him viciously cussing in the basement. Daniel, with the intuitions of his mother, instantly ran back into the house, slammed the heavy cellar door shut and locked the two massive deadbolts before hearing the man smash into it.

Right by the keys on the counter was the man's cell phone. Daniel dialed the only person he trusted, his fifteen-year-old brother, and frantically explained. "Head out to the road and tell me any street signs you see," his brother instructed.

Daniel did. "I'm by some river overpass on state road 433."

"I know right where you are. We used to fish there. Watch for Daddy's truck, I'm coming!"

"Hurry."

Their father passed away two years earlier but Robert knew how to drive his old pick-up. He quickly loaded a few things and tore off.

Daniel waved him down as he arrived. "You say you got that child murderin' bastard locked in the basement?"

"Good and tight."

"Stay here," Robert told him.

"But..."

"Just stay here, I said!" Robert drove the truck up the drive. There wasn't another house around for miles.

After about five minutes, Daniel ignored his brother and ran up the drive.

He stopped and gasped. His brother put his arm around him and said, "He won't be doin' that no more." Both of them just stood there and watched as the house burned until the screaming inside stopped.
 
 
 
 


 


Writing Prompt
Please write a horror children's story under 600 words. The title has two words and starts with the.
Horror Children's Story
Contest Winner

Author Notes
The contest page asked for a horror story with children in it rather than a horror story 'for' children. Thanks for reading.

     

© Copyright 2024. DragonSkulls All rights reserved.
DragonSkulls has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement