FanStory.com - Quiet Lawyer Chapter 27 Bby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali finds more evidence to prove Pat is Michael's father.
Quiet Lawyer
: Quiet Lawyer Chapter 27 B by barbara.wilkey

Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?

Cordero and Alexandra met 49 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

Alexandra stood. "Sir, I'm pretty sure this is not the place to have this discussion. You'll have the opportunity on Tuesday at one o'clock." As Cordero moved closer, she motioned him to back away. "If you came here to eat, I suggest you have a seat and order. If not, I suggest you leave." She sat and faced her friends.

"Ortiz, I suggest you rein in your girlfriend before she gets hurt."

Sheriff Baily walked up and took his arm. "Rogers, that sounded like a threat to me. Why don't we take a walk and have a little discussion?" Leading him out of the diner, Sam said, "Ladies, have a nice rest of your lunch.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 27 B

When the ladies left the diner, Jim and Cordero sat with Alexandra.
Cordero's hand covered hers. "You all right?"

"Yes. I don't understand why anybody would want to make a public scene."

Jim shook his head. "I wouldn't want to air my dirty laundry."

"Neither would I." Alexandra's eyes met Cordero's. "I was thinking."

He hung his head and grinned. "When you look at me that way, I know I'm going to do something I'd rather not What is it?"

She held her phone. "Before I say anything, I need to make a phone call."

After the call, Cordero asked, "What did Amy say? Does she have the photos and a yearbook? If not, I have one, somewhere."

"Yes, her mom took Polaroids and they're in a shoebox in the back of her closet with her yearbook. Guess what?" When Cordero shook his head and Jim chuckled, Alexandra continued, "Rogers signed it, 'Love you forever,' and some other stuff she doesn't remember." Still in the chair, she did a little dance and waved her arms. "I got him." She stood. "I need to speak with her parents."

Cordero put his hand in the small of her back and they went to the pickup. "Have I ever told you, you're a mess?" He pecked her cheek.

"I don't think so. Is it a bad thing?"

Chuckling he said, "It's a good thing. You keep things interesting."

*****
After Cordero parked in front of the Harding residence, Alexandra studied the house before she exhaled. "They may not be willing to help." She took another breath. "I've got to try."

Cordero touched her arm. "Do you want us to go with you or stay here?"

"They know you. You'd be a friendly face."

Jim elected to wait outside.

Mrs. Harding answered the door, and Alexandra introduced herself. While she explained why she was there, Mr. Harding came into the room. "Ma'am, you're wasting your time. We don't have a daughter."

"Sir, you do have a daughter who was a victim of a horrible rape. During that rape, she became pregnant. You now have a very wonderful grandson named Matthew. I've met him. What I'd like to do is hold that man accountable. I have a strong case, but if I could have access to the photos and the yearbook my case becomes even stronger. Are you going to help me or not?"

A long period of silence filled the room.

Mr. Harding gave his wife a dismissive wave. "Go ahead." He left the room.

Mrs. Harding led Alexandra and Cordero into Amy's childhood bedroom. Inside, she opened the closet door. "Nothing's been touched since Amy left." She hesitated. "Have you seen her?"

"I have. We had lunch together a few weeks ago. She's doing fine and will start college in the fall. She'll be here Tuesday at one o'clock for the child support case, if you'd like to talk with her."

"Help yourself." Mrs. Harding turned and left the room.

Cordero reached to the top closet shelf and handed Alexandra a closed shoebox.

She sat on the bed and opened it. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she viewed photos of bruises and bite marks. "Cord, look. He's an animal."

Kneeling in front of her, Cordero said, "He is and you're going to stop him."

"Too much time has passed to prove rape. We're at the ten-year time limit. He could admit to rough sex, but I'll get him for child support." Their eyes met. "You know he's going to try to pin this on you."

Nodding, Cordero said, "I know, but DNA says different, plus Amy knows it's not possible. I'll submit to another DNA test if it'll help." He stood. "I'll see if there's anything else up there." He found a yearbook and handed it to her but noticed her studying a photo. "What you looking at?"

She held it out for him. "This looks like Homecoming to me."

"It is. Why?"

"If they never dated, he couldn't have taken her to Homecoming, could he?"

"You're correct." He rechecked the closet and brought out some material. "What's this?"

Alexandra studied it. "Amy's prom dress." She jumped up. "Ouch!" and hugged him.

"The doc said you could start putting weight on your ankle. I doubt he meant jumping."

"But..." She was interrupted with a kiss.

Before long, Alexandra packed up the photos, yearbook, and the prom dress.

After thanking Mr. and Mrs. Harding, Cordero and Alexandra left.

*****
At the ranch, Cordero and Jim went to the barn and Alexandra continued studying the photos and yearbook. She paused when she saw Cordero with a date for Homecoming. That could be additional proof Matthew isn't Cord's. I wonder who he took to prom?

*****
After Alexandra and Rosa finished clearing the table and cleaning the dishes, Cordero asked, "Ali, would you like to sit on the bench and watch the stars?"

"Of course."

Once they were seated, Cordero patted his thigh. "Put your foot here." When her eyes widened, he continued, "I have a feeling it's swelling again. I'm betting you did too much." Removing her shoe, he studied her ankle. "I'm right." He massaged it.

"Thank you. That feels good."

"I'm sure you studied the yearbook and pictures some more. Anything new?"

"I saw a picture of you at homecoming."

He nodded. "I took Izabella Ruiz. Her family moved about two months later."

Alexandra frowned. "I was hoping you took her to prom. Who did you take?"

"I didn't go to prom. Jim and I went to a rodeo in Gidding, Texas. We were seven hours away."

She thought for a few minutes and then frowned. "I know it was ten years ago, but you wouldn't have proof, would you?"

Cordero grinned. "I do. I won a belt buckle."

"Do you have a certificate that's dated?" Alexandra hesitated. "I'm trying to..."

"I know what you're doing," interrupted Cordero. "You're ending all doubt that Matt's my son." He leaned over and kissed her. "I appreciate it." He glanced toward the house. "Mom kept all that. When we go inside, I'll have her get it. Right now, I want to spend time with you."

"Good." She leaned in and kissed him.

After a few more kisses, he asked, "So you want a small wedding and private honeymoon?"

Alexandra turned crimson. "You weren't supposed to hear that. It was private."

"Why? I thought we shared everything."

"We do but..." When his eyebrows rose, Alexandra asked, "What would your ideal wedding and honeymoon look like?"

"I agree with you; a very small intimate wedding and a private honeymoon with you." Cordero closed his eyes. "Sorry." After a pause, he said, "I think it's time to go inside.


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Querido is Spanish for dear or sweetheart.

De nada is Spanish for no problem or you're welcome.

Rancho de los Toros Salvajes is Spanish for Wild Bull Ranch.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex

Recognized

Author Notes
My next post will be Tuesday, 1/30/23. After today's post there are 5 posts left. My first published book, 'Two Tattered Hearts' will be coming out as a paperback in about a week. It originally was published only as an e-book. My publisher died and the book got misplaced. It's been found and will soon be a paperback.

Thank you google images for an image of a yearbook page. Will Ali get the around of child support she hopes to get from Pat Rogers? HMMM. This post is a little over 1100 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement