FanStory.com - Some Call It Luck - Chapter 35by Jim Wile
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A putting lesson is the beginning of an eventful chapter.
Some Call It Luck
: Some Call It Luck - Chapter 35 by Jim Wile

Background
A brilliant and beautiful but insecure, nerdy young woman befriends a going nowhere older alcoholic caddie. Together, they bring out the best in each other and collaborate on a startling new invention

(See the Author Notes for a description of the main characters.)
 
Recap: Abby has returned to Brentwood CC to work at the snack bar again this summer to earn money for grad school. While at school a few months back, she had met an interesting guy who she never saw again until he walks up to the snack bar with her friend Eddie. Kenny is a member at Brentwood, and after a rocky start, they begin dating. Kenny is finally able to befriend Abby’s stand-offish cat, Lester, who warms to him after Kenny saved him from choking to death. To help Kenny take his mind off his worries about an upcoming golf match, Abby gets him to teach her the golf swing. Now for a putting lesson too.
 
We carried our bags over to the putting green and laid them down. We pulled out our putters, and he reached into one of the side pockets of his bag, pulled out three balls, and threw them down on the green. “Okay, aim at that hole over there, and let’s see what your putting stroke looks like,” he told me.

I bent over a ball and without hesitating started taking the putter back to ¾, just like he had taught me on the range.

“Stop!”

“Just kidding!” I said, laughing at his distress.

“Phew! I thought you were going to send it right through that window over there,” he said pointing to the big picture window in the bar that overlooked the putting green. We looked up and saw a bunch of guys in the bar laughing at us.

“Okay, babe, let’s see a real putting stroke. Try to make it as rhythmic as the 7-iron swing—just a lot shorter! And hold the putter more in your palms rather than the fingers.”

I then hit the three balls, not particularly close to the hole, but he said my stroke looked pretty good. We walked over to the balls, and he demonstrated by hitting them back the other way. Back and forth I went stroking putt after putt, and eventually I sank one. I jumped up and down a few times in exultation. We glanced up at the bar to see if anyone had noticed, and they were all in there giving me a thumbs up or applauding. I gave them a little curtsey and mouthed, “Thank you, thank you.”

Then I putted the three balls again. I noticed Kenny looking up at the guys in the bar, who were gesturing for him to move out of the way. I knew they were checking out my derriere in those tight shorts. He waved them off and deliberately stayed rooted where he was, blocking their view. We heard some faint boos through the picture window, and I asked Kenny if they were booing my putting.

“No, they were booing me for blocking the view.”

“What, so they couldn’t see my good form?”

“Uh, yeah, I guess you could say that.”

I smiled at him knowingly and gave a little wave to the guys at the window. They applauded wildly.

“Kenny, this isn’t quite as much fun as hitting balls on the range. I really liked doing that better.”

“Well, it’s a different part of the game, to be sure. I also prefer practicing my long game. Eddie, on the other hand, only practices his putting. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I’ve started helping him with his putter designs. He’s an inventor, you know, and he’s been working on putter designs for a few years now. He never studied physics and doesn’t really know why some of his putters work better than others. I told him I understood force vectors and moments of inertia and things and that I thought I could really help him understand the physics involved. He loved the idea.”

“Sounds like you and he are becoming pretty good friends now, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I’m actually thinking of working with him, at least part-time.”

“Really? Well, just be careful. He seems to be a bit of a gambler, and I wouldn’t want to see you lose a lot of money on some venture that doesn’t work out.”

“Well, you’re right. That’s kind of what I was worried about with the match tomorrow. I hope we don’t get in over our heads.”

“Just don’t let him speak for you. You can assert yourself.” (Jeez, listen to me talking about being assertive!)

“I know I can… I guess.”

By this time it was getting pretty dark, so we decided to call it a night. We waved to the guys in the bar as we headed back to the Pro Shop and deposited our clubs inside. My car was still there from earlier, so we kissed goodbye in the parking lot and drove home separately.

Soon after I got home, he called me. “Abby, thanks for tonight. You sure helped take my mind off tomorrow. Did you really want to learn golf, or was it just a ploy to help me relax?”

“Well, actually it was both. I like doing everything with you.”

After a few seconds, he said softly, “I love you, Abby.”

My heart fluttered. “I love you too, Kenny,” I said softly back.

“Good night, sweetie.”

“Goodnight.”

Oh, God! That was the first time we had ever said that to each other. I wish we’d been face-to-face, but it hardly detracted from how I felt right then. I went to bed with a glow.
 
 

Summer was rapidly coming to an end, and I’d be starting grad school in a few more weeks. I had mixed feelings. As much as I looked forward to that, I didn’t want this wonderful summer to end. Kenny and I spent time together almost every day, and it certainly wouldn’t be like that when I was back at college, and he was here working. We wouldn’t be that far away from each other, but it would mean perhaps only occasional visits. I love him and want to be with him all the time now.

We went to a movie tonight and when he pulled in the driveway, I said to him, “Can you come up for a while?”

“Yeah, but just for a little while. I’ve got a big presentation at work tomorrow, and I have to practice for it.”

“You can practice on me.”

“Well, that’s a nice offer, but I don’t have any of my notes with me, and I haven’t exactly got it memorized. I’ll come up for a while. Besides, I’ve got to see my buddy, Lester.”

“I’m so happy he’s taken to you.”

“Is he still your best boy?” Kenny asked me.

“He’ll always be my best boy!”

“Where does that leave me then?”

“You’re my best boyfriend.”

We climbed the stairs and went inside, but Lester was nowhere to be found. He must still be out hunting somewhere, enjoying the summer evening.

We sat down and held hands and talked for a while, then we started kissing. Ever since we’d declared our love for each other, our passion seemed to grow exponentially. We could no longer stop at just kissing, and our hands began exploring each other’s bodies. This was so new to me, for I had never been this intimate with anyone before. I got a little scared, and breathlessly I told Kenny I thought we should stop before we wouldn’t be able to. Like the gentleman he was, he didn’t push it any further. Soon after, when we’d caught our breaths and settled down again, I walked him to the door.

“Sorry I missed Lester,” he said. He kissed me one more time and said, “Goodnight, my love.”

“Goodnight, my love. Maybe next time.”

He looked at me closely and said, “Really?”

“Yeah. Maybe next time you’ll see Lester.”

He smiled at that, shaking his head. Then he turned around and walked down the stairs. What a warm, delicious feeling permeated my body.

I watched him through the window as he got in his car, gave me a little wave, then started backing out. But then I heard a strange, high-pitched sound and saw him lurch to a stop and hop out of the car. He raced around to the back and bent down, then I heard him call out, “Abby!”

My heart thudded in my chest as I raced down the stairs. I hoped beyond hope that what I was thinking hadn’t just happened, but when I ran around to the back of Kenny’s car, my worst fear was realized. Lester lay there, and he was yowling pitifully. Kenny’s rear wheel had apparently run over the rear half of him, and his back was broken with his legs splayed out flat.

I wailed “Ohhhhh! Lester. No, no, no, no, noooo!! I burst out crying as I bent down to hug him. I put my face to his and kissed him over and over as I whispered in his ear, “I love you, my poor boy,” although I knew he couldn’t hear me. He looked at me with fear in his eyes, and as I gently stroked his cheeks and rubbed his ears, he silently passed away.

I pulled him into my arms then and held him as I sobbed and sobbed.

“Abby, I’m so sorry. I didn’t see him,” Kenny said as he knelt down and started to put his arm around my shoulder. I whirled around and said, “Kenny, what did you do! Weren’t you watching where you were going?”

He started reaching for me again, but I ducked away from him. “Just go! I don’t want you here right now!”

He stood up then, bowed his head, and got back in his car without another word. I stood up then too and carried Lester’s lifeless body back up to my apartment.
 

Author Notes
Abby St. Claire: Age 20. She has just graduated from Penn State University where she was a math major and has decided to go for a masters degree there next year. She is intelligent and beautiful, yet shy and awkward with most people her age, having been picked on quite a lot while growing up. She works at the snack bar and as a waitress at Brentwood Country Club during the summers. She is dating Kenny who she met earlier this year and is a member at Brentwood.

Kenny Payne: Abby met him briefly at a frat party in her senior year and was intrigued by him, then she sees him again when he walks up to the snack bar several months later. Tall, good looking, and an all-around nice guy.

Lester: Abby's big, black cat who she raised as a kitten from the time she was eight. He provided much needed friendship to Abby while she was growing up.

     

© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement