FanStory.com - Evelynby GWHARGIS
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ocean girl
Evelyn by GWHARGIS
Lost - Flash Fiction writing prompt entry
Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

She is only happy when her feet are covered in sand. My little Evelyn. She was born early, deprived of oxygen for just a tad too long they said. She looks like other little girls her age but that is where the resemblance ends.

Evelyn is locked in her own world. Lost in a place of mystery, away from me. She is my child but doesn't really belong to me.

Evelyn stares at the waves, her thin arms rising and falling like a conductor who feels the music. The sun casts a warm halo on her head.

"Evelyn," I say softly. "Don't get to close to the water."

She squats down, her fingers sifting through the wet sand. She lifts a sand dollar up to examine it. It's brown tinged, not bleached white like the kind in the tourist shops. Gently, she puts it back down.

I point out the fins of the dolphin pod as it cuts in and out of the ocean. If she hears me, I have no idea. She continues to sift the sand.

After several minutes, she comes up to the blanket I have spread out and sits. She's close enough to touch but I don't dare.

I was so lost when she was born. There were no baby milestones. No first words, no pattycake. I remember crying, begging for God to make me understand what I had done to deserve this.

Now I thank him. Every trip to the beach is a first. Every day with Evelyn is a blessing. I see a miracle. A beautiful miracle who's innocence will never fade.

I used to be lost.

Now I have found a miracle.


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost

Author Notes
Lost can have different meanings. It can be physical, emotional or spiritual.
Thank you to avmurray for this awesome photo.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement