FanStory.com - Quiet Lawyer Chapter 17by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rosa and Tonia come up with a plan.
Quiet Lawyer
: Quiet Lawyer Chapter 17 by barbara.wilkey

Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?

Cordero and Alexandra met 34 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Halfway to the barn, Jim teased, "You haven't given your gal a proper kiss, yet? Boss, you ain't got game."

Cordero shook his head. "I do too."

Jim pointed to Chip. "Your horse has more game than you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You should see the way he looks at Jewel. Now, that's a horse with game."

Walking up to Chip, Cordero rubbed his muzzle. "You need to listen. Jewel's way too young for you. You need to leave her alone. I mean it."

"Those two would make some good-looking horses."

"True. I've sent her DNA off, but the results haven't come back. I'd like to know more about her background." Cordero faced Jim. "Why'd you call me?"

Jim pointed. "You need to check the mare. I think she'll foal in a day or two."

Cordero checked. "You're right. I'm thinking Thursday or Friday. I doubt she'll deliver tomorrow. We'd better watch her just in case. Anything else?"

"The clover and soybeans are in. The alfalfa hay will be finished by the end of the week."

"We had quite of bit of rain and snow in the Davis Mountains. We won't irrigate until it's absolutely necessary. Maybe our luck for a wet spring and summer will hold."

TODAY'S POST:

Early Thursday morning, as Cordero entered the kitchen, his mom studied him. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing."

Rosa came over and hugged her son. "I've been your mom for twenty-eight years. I can tell when there's something bothering you."

Chuckling, he said, "Is the coffee ready?"

"It is, but you can only get some if you sit and talk."

"That's blackmail," he teased.

"Moms will use any way possible to convince their adult sons to talk." She studied him a few moments. "It's Ali, isn't it?"

Cordero's eyes met hers. "You're good."

"I've had years of practice."

"I see." He sipped his coffee. "On the way home Tuesday, she expressed concern about the firm's birthday party. She doesn't want to go."

"That's surprising. I've been to them. They're fun. Yesterday, I noticed as the day went on she got quieter and quieter." Rosa glanced toward the hallway. "She hasn't come out, yet. Did she say why?"

"She's worried about her former fiance. He's not invited, but she thinks he'll know it's happening, and she'll return for it."

"She's definitely afraid of him. Maybe you're right about the abuse."

"I'm sure of it." Cordero took a long drink of coffee. "I just can't prove it." He stood. "I need another cup."

Moments later as Alexandra walked into the kitchen, Rosa glanced up. "Good morning. What time are you supposed to be at the airport?"

"Ten o'clock."

Rosa nodded. "I'll take you."

"I will," interrupted Cordero.

Alexandra's eyes met Cordero's. "Are you sure? I've already taken you away from ranch business once this week."

"I'm sure."

*****
Around nine-fifteen, Cordero came inside and saw Rosa and Alexandra sitting on the couch. As their eyes met, he said, "I'll wash up and then be ready." He went to his room.

Alexandra exhaled. "He's worried about my trip."

Rosa took Ali's hand in hers. "I think he's worried because you are."

"You're probably right."

"Have you told your parents how you feel?"

"I told Mom. I'm guessing she told Dad. They share everything."

"That's true. Jorge and I do too."

A few minutes later, Cordero walked in. "Ready?"

"Yes." Alexandra walked over and picked up her suitcase.

Cordero grabbed it from her and teased, "You're wrong, if you think this cowboy's allowing you to carry this."

"You're right. I should've known better, but I'd hate to assume anything."

His eyebrows rose. She's really worried. He cupped her elbow and led her to the pickup.

The trip to the Lobo Municipal Airport was silent. After Cordero parked in the area designated for private flights, he took her hand. "I hope you know you can call day or night."

Tears welled in her eyes. "I know and thank you."

He removed his bandana and handed it to her. "I have a feeling you're going to need this." He stepped from the pickup, reached into his pocket, and handed her two more. "Here. It wouldn't be right to leave you without."

Alexandra accepted them. "Thank you, but you didn't need to."

He walked around and opened her door. "I wanted to."

After helping her from the pickup, he removed the suitcase and led her toward the waiting private jet.

As they got close, Alexandra turned and hugged him. Before she could say anything, he leaned closer and kissed her cheek. "Please be careful. Saturday, I'll be waiting for you."

When the pilot asked if she was ready, Alexandra turned. "Yes, Sir."

Cordero watched until her jet was out of sight.

*****
After Cordero parked at the ranch, Jim called from the barn, "You need to check the mare."

Cordero walked to the barn and examined her. "She's close. I need to talk with Mom. I'll be right back."

Once inside, he heard Tonia's voice. When he got into the kitchen, he saw his mom and Tonia were on Zoom and said, "Hello, Tonia. Ali's on her way."

"Cord, my question is why you aren't with her?"

"I wasn't invited."

"I tried to tell her. Ali can be stubborn sometimes."

He asked, "What are you talking about?"

"We talked about inviting you. She wanted to but didn't because she knows how much you hate cities. She didn't want you to feel obligated."

"Ali told Cord that she's afraid Alan Griffin will cause trouble. Did she share that with you?" interrupted Rosa.

"My daughter did not. I knew she was concerned about returning but not why."

Cordero added, "Now you know. I need to get outside. I have a mare close to delivering. Bye."

Tonia yelled, "Cord, wait. I'm inviting you. I know Ali wants you there. Please..."

"You and Mom make the arrangements," interrupted Cordero. "I'll be there."

*****
Rosa said, "Cord has three suits. Let me show you and you can decide which one would be appropriate."

"Don't get them," interrupted Tonia. "Send me Cord's measurements, and I'll make sure he has a tux."

"Only if you agree to send me the bill."

"Whatever. Hurry with the measurements."

With tape measure in hand, Rosa hurried to the barn. "Cord, I need you."

"Mom, it can wait."

"It can't. Tonia needs measurements to get you a proper tux. I need your waist, inseam, chest, arm length, and neck measurements."

Cordero glanced at Jim, who grinned, before he addressed his mom, "You're pushing your luck. Can't you see I'm working?"

"I see you standing around waiting for that mare to do all the work. Now, come here so we can get these to Tonia."

Jim teased, "Boss, you'd better do what your mama says."

He gave Jim a warning glance. "You know this is for Ali, right?"

"I figured. There's no way you'd do it on your own."

After measurements were taken, Rosa ran inside and called Tonia.

*****
Early afternoon, Tonia called again, "Sorry, I know Cord well enough to know he's already fed up with the tux situation, but I need two pictures of him standing, one from the front and one from the back, both without a shirt, and a measurement across his shoulder blades."

Rosa laughed. "I had to take the first round of measurements in front of Jim. You know Jim and know they've been best friends for years, but still." She hesitated. "Lucky for us Cord will do anything for your daughter."

"I'm counting on that. Send them as soon as possible."

*****
When Rosa walked into the barn, Cordero exhaled. "Now what?"

"I see you're still in a holding pattern with that mare." Rosa held up the tape measure and her cell phone. "I need an additional measurement and some photos."

"You've got to be kidding. What else is there to measure?" He glared at Jim. "Don't say a word."

With the measurement taken, Rosa said, "You need to remove your shirt. I need a picture front and back."

"Mom!"

Jim chuckled. "Maybe Ms. Tonia's putting together a Cowboy calendar."

Cordero growled. "I'd better be on Ali's good side for a very long time."

After snapping the first photo, Rosa said, "Ali knows nothing about this. If you understand her at all, you'd better not say anything."

"You're right. Making my feelings known about stuff like this is probably why she didn't invite me."

"Exactly," warned his mom.

*****
Cordero came in just as Jorge and Rosa sat for dinner. "That mare hasn't delivered." He paused. "What time am I supposed to leave tomorrow?"

Rosa thought. "It's about a four-hour flight. The party starts at seven o'clock. You'll need to get out of here by one-thirty; two at the latest. Brent will have the jet waiting."

Jorge offered, "If that mare hasn't delivered, I'll deliver the foal."

"Thanks, Dad. Hopefully there won't be any problems. So far things haven't gone smoothly."

"Only because you're waiting."

*****
In the barn, Cordero sat on a bale of hay, watched the mare, and studied his phone. Maybe I should call Ali and see how's she's doing. He shook his head. "Probably wouldn't be a good idea." He glanced up as Samson meandered in. I have an idea. He held up his phone. "Come here, buddy." He took Samson's picture and sent it to Ali with the text, Samson says good night and he misses you.

Ali replied, I miss him. Tell him good night and give him a hug from me. She added a photo of Lily. Lily says she'd like to meet Samson. He looks cuddly.

Cordero chuckled. Good night, Ali.

Good night.

~~~~~
A reviewer wondered if in my previous post if I should've talked about an anniversary instead of a birthday. I became curious myself and did research and discovered both can be correct, but I prefer birthday and here's why:

Birthday (noun)
the anniversary of something's origin or foundation
'the seventy-fifth birthday of the Institute'.
~~~~~

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Recognized

Author Notes
I am tired of the hassle of Advanced Editor. I hope the font size is acceptable. If not, you can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.
Thank you google an image of a cowboy in a tux. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement