FanStory.com - Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 Dby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali discusses upcoming firm's birthday party concerns.
Quiet Lawyer
: Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 D by barbara.wilkey

Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?

Cordero and Alexandra met 32 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As they waited in line, Alexandra glanced around. "This is sort of scary. I had to go through customs when we went into France and again, back home, but it wasn't anything like this. I didn't bring my passport. Should I have it?"

Cordero grinned. "Just your driver's license. You do have it, right?"

Alexandra reached for her purse. "I'd better check. To be honest, I rarely need it."

"Oh, the life of a rich New Yorker," he teased.

"Hmm..." She continued searching, and then with pride held it up. "See, I do have it."

"Good. I would've hated you being arrested as an illegal alien." He shook his head. "I should've said I wouldn't want to be the poor customs agent who was unlucky enough to have you arrested."

Her lips formed a pout. "I'm not sure how to take that."

Cordero reached over and took her hand. "The best possible way. You have to admit as a lawyer you're a force to be reckoned with."

"I guess." She pointed. "Look, we're moving."

"That we are." Cordero removed his gun holster, unloaded it, and handed it to Alexandra. "Please put this in the glove box."

"Will it be a problem?"

"Shouldn't. I'll declare it from the beginning. I have my license to carry permit. We should be good."

"You're used to this, aren't you?"

He nodded. "I am. I can't remember any time this checkpoint wasn't here." Grinning he added, "When we get back to Lobo, let's go for ice cream."

"Sounds good."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 D

After a complete pickup search, Cordero and Alexandra continued their trip home. Alexandra released a deep breath. "I've never been through anything like that."

"They were a little more thorough than normal. Maybe your New York driver's license confused them."

Alexandra's eyes widened. "Do you think so?"

Chuckling Cordero said, "I doubt it. I was teasing."

"Ha, ha."

"I thought it was funny."

"I'm sure you did."

*****
After traveling a while in silence Cordero said, "I was teasing with the being from New York comment."

"I know."

"Why am I getting the silent lawyer?"

"Just thinking."

"Care to share?"

"Grandpa started the law firm fifty years ago April 9."

"That's good. What's the problem?"

"Ever since the twenty-fifth birthday, there's been a huge party in the Rainbow Room of the Rockefeller Center."

"I'm sure it's fun."

"There's always a nice dinner and dancing."

"A live band?"

She smiled. "Yes, a live band, well more of an orchestra. No line dancing. It's formal black tie, invitation only."

"Your eyes are telling me you're concerned, why?"

"It's this Friday. I'm not ready to return. Mom and Dad are trying to gracefully put out fires, but some of my 'special' clients would be disappointed if I don't attend."

"Will your ex be there?"

"He's not invited. But I'm sure he knows it's scheduled. He may try to contact me."

"Is the possibility of seeing him what's bothering you?" When she nodded and dried her eyes, he added, "I've already shared my bandana. I haven't had a chance to replace it."

"I'm not going to cry."

"Are you sure?" teased Cordero.

"How about, I'm trying not to. I've done enough for one day."

He reached over and took her hand. "It's okay if you do."

"I know." Her eyes met his. "Thank you."

"If you go, when will you leave?"

"Thursday. Dad will have the jet meet me at the Lobo Airport. When I get home, Mom and I'll go shopping for my dress."

"How long will you stay?"

"I'll return Saturday, late afternoon."

Cordero parked. "Ready for some ice cream?"

"Of course." After Cordero opened the pickup door and helped her down, Alexandra's hug lingered. "Thank you, again, for everything."

"You're welcome. I could get used to your hugs," he teased.

Alexandra's eyes sparkled. "At times you're impossible."

"Only sometimes?" He grinned as they entered the ice cream shop. "Hello, Julio."

"Hola, Cordero, your usual hot fudge banana split?"

"Yes, I'm not sure what the lady would like."

Her eyes widened. "I feel like a child. So many choices. I've never seen anything like this."

"You've never been to an ice cream shop?"

"Yes, but not like this."

"Julio, wait on mine. It's been my experience we could be here a while." Cordero shook his head, "Do you even have it narrowed down?"

Alexandra whispered, "No."

Julio offered, "I keep the flavors displayed in the same order. Why don't you start at the end and when you come again you can try the next one in order until you've sampled them all?"

"That's a good idea." Alexandra glanced at Cordero. "Think we could come again?"

"I'm sure of it."

Smiling Alexandra said, "So I just need to decide which end to start with."

With a grin, Cordero said, "You have it narrowed to two."

She closed her eyes. "I'll have two scoops of Wild Mountain Blackberry Marble in a cup."

Cordero asked, "Two scoops? The scoops are huge." When Alexandra faced him, he said, "You won't be able to eat it all." Continuing his grin, he said, "Julio, two spoons. I'm pretty sure I'll be helping."

After eating a little less than half of her ice cream, Alexandra held up the extra spoon. "Would you like a taste? It's really good."

He accepted the spoon. "Only a taste, right?"

"Why would there be any other reason?"

"The other reason might be you're full."

Alexandra moved the cup closer to Cordero. "That couldn't possibly be the reason."

He took the cup. "I'll finish it."

*****
After Cordero parked at home, he helped Alexandra out, put his hand in the small of her back, and led her to the front porch.

Before he opened the door, Alexandra faced him. "Cord, I appreciate your support. I couldn't have helped Amy without you." She reached up and kissed him.

When it finished, their stare into each other's eyes lingered. Cordero's hands held her arms. He swallowed and leaned over. As their lips touched, Samson stormed from the house and nudged his way between them, followed by Jorge and Rosa.

Jim called, "Boss, can you come to the barn?"

He muttered under his breath, "You've got to be kidding." He released a deep breath. "I'll be in after I talk with Jim."

Rosa took Alexandra's arm. "How'd things go?" She led Alexandra inside and shut the door.

*****
Halfway to the barn, Jim teased, "You haven't given your gal a proper kiss, yet? Boss, you ain't got game."

Cordero shook his head. "I do too."

Jim pointed to Chip. "Your horse has more game than you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You should see the way he looks at Jewel. Now, that's a horse with game."

Walking up to Chip, Cordero rubbed his muzzle. "You need to listen. Jewel's way too young for you. You need to leave her alone. I mean it."

"Those two would make some good-looking horses."

"True. I've sent her DNA off, but the results haven't come back. I'd like to know more about her background." Cordero faced Jim. "Why'd you call me?"

Jim pointed. "You need to check the mare. I think she'll foal in a day or two."

Cordero checked. "You're right. I'm thinking Thursday or Friday. I doubt she'll deliver tomorrow. We'd better watch her just in case. Anything else?"

"The clover and soybeans are in. The alfalfa hay will be finished by the end of the week."

"We had quite of bit of rain and snow in the Davis Mountains. We won't irrigate until it's absolutely necessary. Maybe our luck for a wet spring and summer will hold."


~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google an image of a typical ice cream shop. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement