FanStory.com - Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 Cby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alexandra's plan to help Amy.
Quiet Lawyer
: Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 C by barbara.wilkey
Book of the Month contest entry

Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?

Cordero and Alexandra met 32 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After a few moments of silence, Cordero asked, "What happened?"

"Amy was brutally raped." Alexandra got up and walked around. "She showed me scars where he bit her."

After she leaned against his chest and continued to cry, he said, "What can I do?"

She shook her head. "Nothing." Her voice got louder. "He destroyed her life. She was accepted to the state college in town. She wanted to be a teacher. Her dad refused to believe what happened. Amy told that jerk she was pregnant, and he denied they'd even dated. Now, she's basically homeless and with no future. Your horses live better than she does."

"The child support you're going to get her will help her have a future."

She turned into his chest. As he put his arms around her, she cried.

He removed his bandana and offered it to her.

After silent moments passed, she dried her tears and glanced at her watch. "Do you know where there's a library?"

Cordero's eyes widened. "A library?" After she nodded, he said, "I can find one. Are you sure?"

"Yes. I have an idea."

TODAY'S POST:

Inside the library, Alexandra asked the librarian about the use of their computers and the use of a printer. After receiving the answers, she called her mom, Tonia.

Through tears, Alexandra described Amy's situation and then explained, "Mom, I want to use our charity foundation. Texas A&M has a campus in El Paso. We could pay for Amy's college. She wants to be a teacher. We can get her a decent apartment and give her a stipend for expenses. With the money she'll receive from child support, she'll have a chance."

"That's a great idea. How do you want to set it up?"

"Do we need Dad's and Grandpa's approval?"

"I think they'll both agree this meets the requirements. Should I start typing the contract?"

"Yes. Could you find somebody to help her register for college, find an apartment, and counseling? She'll need counseling for help with rape trauma. Maybe after that check, with her on a weekly basis, until we're sure she's on the right track?"

Alexandra heard typing. "Mom, once you've finished, I'll print it and then Cord and I'll take it to her."

"Cord's with you?"

"Of course, did you think I'd come to El Paso by myself? Also, we're on speaker phone."

"You didn't say anything. I'm sorry, Cord. I didn't mean to ignore you. How are you? Thank you for helping."

"No problem, Tonia. I'm doing well, and you?"

"Good, thank you. I just sent it. You should have it in a minute."

Cordero and Alexandra visited with Tonia as they watched for the email.

A few moments later, Alexandra said, "Got it. Thank you. Let's hope Amy agrees. Love you, Mom."

"Love you, too. Let me know how it turns out. Be safe. Bye."

After printing two copies, Alexandra and Cordero were on their way back to Amy's.

Before, getting out of the pick-up, Cordero asked, "Why aren't you bringing rape charges against Rogers?"

"In Amy's case, we're too close to the ten-year statute of limitations act. She should've done it when she filed for child support nine years ago. With the other ladies, there isn't enough evidence to guarantee a conviction, but he doesn't know that. I'm hoping neither does his lawyer. I feel it's safer to go this route. Besides if he's in jail, nobody gets any money. I'm hoping once he realizes there are consequences, he'll stop. Once the news is out, women should be more cautious around him."

"Makes sense."

When Amy answered the door, she asked, "Did you forget something?"

Alexandra smiled. "I've figured out a way you can complete your dream of becoming a teacher. I hope you agree."

Amy's eyes widened. "What?"

"Let's sit and discuss it."

After discussing the details and presenting the contract, Alexandra explained, "You'll need to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. We're sending a lady to help you get registered for school, find an apartment, and set you up with rape counseling. You have my number, please stay in touch. I'll be there for you."

Amy's eyes met Cordero's. "Is this real?"

He put his hand over Amy's. "I was with Ali when she called her office and set it up. This is all real, but only if you agree."

Alexandra reached over and hugged Amy. "I want to set your life in the direction it was going before Pat Rogers destroyed it. It'll be hard, but you can do it. We'll help."

With the papers signed, Alexandra called her mom. "You're on speaker. Amy agreed. Let me know when you've found someone to assist her."

"It'll be about a week before everything's in place."

"Thank you, Mom."

"You two driving back tonight?" After Alexandra indicated they were, Tonia added, "Be safe."

*****
As the couple drove from Amy's house, Cordero said, "That went really well." He checked his watch. "How about eating before we head home?"

"Good idea."

He glanced at her. "I know an Italian restaurant I think you'll like. It's called Monteleone's Ristorante."

"Sounds good."

Cordero pulled into the parking lot. Before he opened his door, Alexandra said, "I want to thank you."

"What for?"

"For being you. First, thank you for helping me get to El Paso and," she smiled, "for putting up with my tears."

"I understand why you were upset. I would've been surprised if you weren't."

"My heart broke when I saw Amy's living conditions."

"I know."

She hesitated and then swallowed. "It's also a little personal. I wanted to be treated the way Dad treats Mom, Grandpa treated Grandma, and your dad treats your mom. Alan didn't treat me that way. I was positive it was me. I tried to be the perfect girlfriend and fiancee. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't live up to his expectations."

She touched his hand. "I met you and you've treated me with respect, just me being me."

"It's the way I was taught to treat women."

Alexandra caressed his hand. "The first time I met Samson, I thought he was a bear. I jumped into a Yucca Plant, and it stabbed me. You cleaned my wrist and put on a band-aide. You offered help, yet never spoke down to me. You didn't know me. I was a stranger."

He lifted her hand and pecked it. "The second meeting was more interesting."

Exhaling, she said, "It was. You acted like a male."

"In my defense you only wore a towel."

"True, but even then you were respectful." Her eyes met his. "When Pat introduced himself at the diner, he was polite, but talked down to me. I knew I wanted nothing to do with him. If I hadn't met you, I wouldn't have known that. If I'd gone to Houston, I probably would've been one of his victims."

"I hate thinking that."

Alexandra took a deep breath. "You showed me it's not my fault. Some men don't treat women with respect."

"Very true."

"Thank you for being you."

"Sorry, I need to get this. It's Mom." Cordero answered his phone. "Mom, we've been busy. Things went well. We'll talk when we get home. We've stopped to eat. I'll call when we're done with the checkpoint?" He hung up. "Ready?"

"Checkpoint?"

"Don't worry. You'll see it soon enough." He opened his door. "I'm hungry." He went around and opened Alexandra's door, cupped her elbow, and led her inside.

The waitress came to their table. "I'm Patricia and I'll be your server tonight. Can I get your drinks and an appetizer?"

Cordero ordered a soft drink and Alexandra water. Because of time, they decided against appetizers.

When Patricia returned with drinks, they placed their order. As they waited, Alexandra watched Cordero. "There's something on your mind. Care to share?"

He studied her for a few moments. "I was reflecting on today." He paused. "I learned a lot about you."

"That I'm a crybaby."

Cordero grinned. "There were tears, well, a lot of tears, but for a good cause." He took her hand. "You showed how compassionate you are about certain causes. When the tears cleared, out came a fighter. You saw a need and figured out how to fix it. I'm impressed."

"If I didn't have your shoulder to lean on or maybe draw on your strength, I would've spent a lot longer crying."

"Thank you, but maybe we complement each other."

"I like that, but I'm pretty sure I do most of the leaning."

"Not always. I hide it better."

When Patricia set the dinner plates in front of them, small talk continued through dinner.

*****
As Cordero took her hand and led her to the pick-up, he asked, "You ready for waiting in line at the checkpoint?"

"I don't understand why we have to go through customs. We didn't leave the US. El Paso's in the US, right?"

Chuckling Cordero said, "It is. There are a lot of humans, drugs, and weapons smuggled through here. The Border Patrol's doing their job."

Inside the pick-up, Alexandra asked, "And there's a long line?"

He nodded. "At least every time I've gone through."

"Have you ever had any problems?"
"
"You mean since I'm a Mexican American?"

"I didn't mean it the way it sounded."

"I know. I'm being real. And to answer your question no. I'm 100% American. When we get closer, will you get my vehicle registration and insurance papers from the glove box?"

"Just tell me when."

*****
As they waited in line, Alexandra glanced around. "This is sort of scary. I had to go through customs when we went into France and again, back home, but it wasn't anything like this. I didn't bring my passport. Should I have it?"

Cordero grinned. "Just your driver's license. You do have it, right?"

Alexandra reached for her purse. "I'd better check. To be honest, I rarely need it."

"Oh, the life of a rich New Yorker," he teased.

"Hmm..." She continued searching, and then with pride held it up. "See, I do have it."

"Good. I would've hated you being arrested as an illegal alien." He shook his head. "I should've said I wouldn't want to be the poor customs agent who was unlucky enough to have you arrested."

Her lips formed a pout. "I'm not sure how to take that."

Cordero reached over and took her hand. "The best possible way. You have to admit as a lawyer you're a force to be reckoned with."

"I guess." She pointed. "Look, we're moving."

"That we are." Cordero removed his gun holster, unloaded it, and handed it to Alexandra. "Please put this in the glove box."

"Will it be a problem?"

"Shouldn't. I'll declare it from the beginning. I have my license to carry permit. We should be good."

"You're used to this, aren't you?"

He nodded. "I am. I can't remember any time this checkpoint wasn't here." Grinning he added, "When we get back to Lobo, let's go for ice cream."

"Sounds good."

~~~~~
Under the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, you cannot be charged with sexual assault or aggravated sexual assault if the alleged attack occurred more than 10 years ago.
(The age of consent in Texas is 17. Since minors under 17 cannot legally give consent to sexual activity, having sex with such a minor is considered non-consensual in Texas and is deemed statutory rape even if the minor agreed to it. The charge may be sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault or indecency with a child.)
~~~~~

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew


Recognized

Author Notes
I am tired of the hassle of Advanced Editor. I hope the font size is acceptable.
Thank you google an image of the El Paso Checkpoint. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement