FanStory.com - Prayer Found Dukeby pookietoo
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Angels were present.
Prayer Found Duke by pookietoo
God Bless America contest entry

Eight-year old Melissa believed in angels, and she loved to collect angels. She had an angel sculpture made of her grandmother, Mary, who had died just over a year ago. She remembered being rescued just a month ago when she was scared. Her golden retriever, Duke, that she had for five years, was missing, and she looked all over for him. He often ran away, but he usually came home by himself. He didn't bark often so the times he is missing for a short time he is hard to find. Duke was a dog that she took on walks, she played fetch with him, and she slept with him.

On the day he didn't come home, she was of course, worried. She didn't know what she would do if he wasn't found. After she prayed, she believed angels led her to Duke five miles away, and she did not know how to get back home. When she found Duke, he whimpered a lot, wagged his tail profusely, and was so glad to see her. She believed angels led her family to where she was at and also protected her until she was found. She wished she could personally thank them, but then she remembered that her mom told her that angels that protect us in times of trouble are always unseen; and it was that way for a reason. It was a cold and windy day, she had nothing to eat, and she didn't have a coat to wear. She really felt blue. She was glad she had Duke with her to keep her company. She cuddled against him to keep her warm. She was glad her parents taught her how to pray at a young age.

Her family proudly displayed their American flag in front of their house on Independence Day and on Flag Day. She was glad she lived in the United States. She had learned about the flag in school because they said the Pledge  Allegiance to the flag every day. A few students asked the teacher to explain to them about the flag. Her teacher told her and her classmates that red symbolized strength and valor, white symbolized purity and innocence, and blue signifies justice for all, as well as vigilance and perseverance. Her teacher also told her that the flag's 13 alternating red and white stripes represent the 13 original colonies, and the 50 white stars on a blue field represent the 50 states. She often attended baseball games with her family and saw the flag there.

On the day Melissa learned about what the colors of the flag stood for, she went home and told her parents what she learned. Her parents were proud of her for the things she learned at school.

She had brothers named Jack and David, who just recently died in Afghanistan. Both of them had served there for a year. Before they left for Afghanistan, they did a lot of things together and bonded like sisters and brothers should. They were always there for each other and were best friends. She often prayed for them while they were gone. She wondered if angels were with them as they fought with all their might to serve their country. There were flags on both of their graves. Her family visited their graves a couple of times a year, on Memorial Day and their birthdays. She knew that her brothers and many other soldiers fought with strength and valor just like the red stripes on the flag. She knew they were vigilant and persevered. The white stripes reminded her of her angel grandmother who she missed dearly.

She did everything with her Grandma Mary here on Earth. They were best friends. Her grandma thought she was an angel. Melissa thought the same about her grandma. The white on the flag reminded her of her grandma who had such quiet innocence and persevered throughout her life. Mary taught Melissa how to persevere when she had trials. She wanted to grow up to be just like her angel grandma and have the innocence and perseverance she had.

She learned to love the colors red, white, and blue. She proudly kept a flag in her room and displayed it often. She liked to put flowers that are those colors on her brothers' and her grandma's gravesites. She loved the red roses and poppy, the white candytuft and impatiens and the blue bluebells and morning glory. She wanted to keep all of these flowers in her room to help her think of her brothers and her grandmother often. Many of these flowers were on a hillside a couple of miles from where she lived along with flowers of other colors. Spring was her favorite season because that is when the flowers bloomed.

She also liked to wear clothes that were red, white, and blue and eat red and blue fruits. She was glad that angels watch over her every day when she is awake and when she is asleep. She was glad that the colors of America are red, white, and blue. She promised herself that when she grew up and had a family of her own, she would teach her children to love the country, the flag and the colors red, white, and blue as much as she did. She would teach them about what the colors red, white, and blue on the flag mean. She would want them to wear, red, white, and blue clothes. She would teach them to pray, especially in times of trouble. She would teach them that there are angels around them that would protect them in times of need. Then when her sons were old enough, she would send them off to fight for their country. They would also fight with strength and valor.

 Hopefully though, they would be able to return back home. If they didn't return home, she would put the red, white, and blue flowers on their gravesites like she did her brothers and grandma.

 

     

© Copyright 2024. pookietoo All rights reserved.
pookietoo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement