FanStory.com - The Day Adam Diedby Deniz22
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Resolving Biblical Contradictions
The Day Adam Died by Deniz22

The Day Adam Died
Genesis 2:16,17:
And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.

Genesis 5:5:
And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

COMMENT: Here we have a seemingly glaring contradiction in the Bible: God warns Adam he will die in the very day he eats the forbidden fruit, yet the Divine record plainly states Adam died 930 years AFTER he broke the first and (at that time) only commandment.

How are we to understand this contradiction?
Let us heed the example the Apostle Paul gave us for understanding the Bible accurately.

The Apostle Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 2: 12,13:
"Now we (believers in Christ) have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God;
that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Ghost teaches; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."

Another way to say "comparing spiritual with spiritual" is comparing scripture with scripture, even if not from the immediate context.
An example of arriving at a correct understanding of scripture through comparing scripture is seen in Abraham's instant obedience to God's command to sacrifice his son Isaac as a burnt offering on the mountain.

Abraham's admirable obedience was based on his remembrance of what God had previously revealed to him about Isaac's future.

Abraham correctly reasoned Isaac would have to be physically alive for God's Word about him to be fulfilled.
Abraham also believed God could do all things, including raising Isaac from the ashes of his burnt sacrifice!

It becomes very clear in the Bible Adam was representing all humanity when he knowingly sinned and ate of the forbidden fruit.
And he died instantly spiritually, just as God had warned him.
He was cut off from the blessed standing he had before God when he was innocent of sin.

Adam died spiritually in the very day he ate the forbidden fruit, just as God had warned.

We know Adam represented humanity in his fall into separation from God and eventually, physical death.
We know because Scripture teaches of a Second Adam, the sinless Son of God who "tasted death" for every man, including Adam.

1 Corinthians 15:21: "But now is Christ risen from the dead and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
21 For since by man (ADAM) came death, by man (CHRIST, the Savior of sinners) came also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."

Also, 1 Corinthians 15:45 underscores the truth of new life in the Second Adam, to restore all who died with the first Adam.

"45 And so it is written, the first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening (life-giving) spirit."

In John 11:25, Jesus told Martha, on the occasion of her brother Lazarus' death, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live".

Plainly, whoever has faith in Christ has eternal life immediately and forever, because He "is the life." John 5:24

Recognized

Author Notes
(Biblical support of salvation for all who will trust God's Word about Jesus.)

Ephesians 2 King James Version
2 And you has he quickened (made alive), who were dead(cut off rom God) in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air (Satan), the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience. (nonbelievers):
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation (we lived just like sinners) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; (we were motivated by inner evil desires) and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6 And has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus (God foresees our future position as believers as a done deal)

7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
(so rich is God in power and goodness He will continually amaze us as He lavishes His love upon the weakest of believers for all eternity)!

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest any man should boast. (Salvation is the gift which is received by faith springing from what God has said in His Word.)

     

© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement