FanStory.com - Foundation Stoneby Brett Matthew West
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Foundation Stone In Jerusalem
Foundation Stone by Brett Matthew West
Charlie writing prompt entry
Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

The last time I saw Charlie he explained the Foundation Stone at the center of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem to The Astatula Travelers Club. Charlie also talked about the hole in its southeastern corner that entered a cavern beneath the Well of Souls, and was accessed by a set of stairs. Most of the group was surprised when Charlie told them the Well of Souls had never been investigated archaeologically because religious and political sensitivities disallowed the site to be excavated.

He said, "This is where the Islams believe the spirits of the dead await Judgement Day."

"Isn't it also known by the Israelis as the Holy of Holies where God's presence appeared?" Josiah Mathers asked.

"Why, yes it is indeed. The Israelis believe the Holy of Holies is where the creation of the world began, and that the Foundation Stone was the first bit of creation to come into existence," Charlie informed the group.

A learned scholar and archaeologist, Charlie continued the tour and stated, "The current shape of the Foundation Stone resulted from an expansion Herod the Great, the Roman king of Judea, made to the top of the vault over the summit of Mount Moriah."

He was questioned, "Isn't this the place in Genesis where Abraham bound Isaac as a sacrifice?"

Lucy Nolan chimed in, "And, Solomon's Temple was built here."

Charlie paused a moment, "I see you are all familiar with those events."

The Dome of the Rock was completed in 691. However, several Jewish sources have debated the precise location of the Foundation Stone. They place it in multiple locales.

Charlie mentioned a few, "Some say the Foundation Stone is in front of the Dome on the Western wall. Others will tell you it is directly opposite the exposed portion of the Western Wall. Ask another and they will claim it is in an unbuilt area between the Dome of the Rock and the Al-Aqsa mosque on top of the Temple Mount."

Alertly, the group noticed marks on the Foundation Stone.

Charlie enlightened them, "The Foundation Stone is the holiest site in Jerusalem. Those scratches you see came from the Crusaders of the medieval Latin Church who sliced several artificial cuts in the Foundation Stone's surface. They did this so much the Christian kings of Jerusalem placed a protective marble slab over it. Jews all over the world pray towards the Foundation Stone."

He paused a moment to collect his thoughts, then continued speaking, "I've even been informed it is opposite the Gate of Mercy, beneath the Ark of the Covenant under the Dome of the Rock, near the El Kas fountain south of the Dome of the Rock, or inside the Spirits Dome, north of the Dome of the Rock."

"Are there any other noteworthy bits of trivia we should be aware of concerning the Foundation Stone?" Dalton Cromartie asked.

"Well, as you know, the Islams believe the Foundation Stone is where Mohammad began his infamous Night Journey." Charlie answered. He turned to the camera and said, "Our next destination will be coming up right after this station break."

I understood this was one excursion Sheriff Daniels, Cody, and the rest of the vacationing group would never forget.


Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story)

Author Notes
This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder stories.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement