FanStory.com - Dark Night & Day, Chapter 4by Alaskastory
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A friend hears the whole truth
DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY
: Dark Night & Day, Chapter 4 by Alaskastory

Background
In winter Marjorie arrives in Alaska to escape getting married and begin new medical job. Meets unusual handsome man and makes friends.

While feasting on cereal and coffee, Marjorie gazed out her building. Yard-lights showed the grounds veiled in white and surrounded by snow-covered trees. The deeply dark sky made no indication of nine A.M. as displayed on her jingling phone.

"Hello Marj, this is Julie Granger."

"Oh, it is Saturday. That's when you promised to call. I'm so glad. Now that I have a car, where can we meet?"

"Fairgrounds are a short drive. You'll see its sign just two streetlights from you. Dress warm, but don't worry, the temp is above zero today."

"I'll be right there."

Over her long-johns, Marjorie pulled on new lightweight snow pants. The mirror showed a flattering, slim fit. The black pants were softened with a pale pink high-necked sweater. Her wavy locks of hair took a good twist to fit under a jolly red knitted hat. Then, with coat and boots on, she hurried out to the Subaru.

Standing before her sky-blue car, Marjorie exclaimed, "Ah, the button got it started fine from the third floor."

A warm air greeted her as she slipped behind the steering wheel. The drive was as short as expected. She thought how a drive anywhere in this town would take only a few minutes. Delighted to think that, she entered a nearly empty parking lot and pulled in close to a lighted gate. Walking to the entrance, she spotted blocks of ice stacked in a long line.

"Hi, Marj. Come on in," Julie called loudly. She dropped down a chisel and hurried to meet with a hug.

"I see wonders. Are all those pillars topped with big round balls made of solid ice?"

Julie chuckled. "Oh yes, they are lined up to give a royal welcome when we open ten days from now. Come with me. Lots to show you."

They walked on a snow-covered path to a playground with steep slides being built and ice houses for children to explore.

Marjorie immediately began snapping pictures. In a tree-lined area, they stopped for a friendly visit with artists working hatchets toward amazing creations. Partially sculptured was an athlete's muscular arm stretching high toward a basketball. On another spot, an aurora loomed over angels. Other images began as daring symbols of fairytales or pure imaginations. Very artistic hard work was the beginning of beautiful displays.

Marjorie filled the air with astonishing responses and was full of questions as they casually entered a building set up for gift items and refreshments. "How do those tall blocks of ice get here for carving?"

"They are cut and taken from very clear-water ponds. All done by volunteers. One guy helping is Roger." At a table, they hung their coats over chairs. "I suppose he has told you all about that."

"No, didn't you know I just met him?"

"Really? Leo and I assumed you two were dating."

An astonished grin covered a cold face that turned a bright pink matching her sweater. "I will not date Roger, or any man, during this whole year. Not while I live here." Turning to a surprised face, she added, "Julie, if you want, I'll tell you why."

"Wow, please do Marj." She followed behind her quick step to the counter.

"Coffee or hot chocolate first." They picked up their drinks, returned to the table and seated beside each other.

Julie's comforting hand rested firmly on Marjorie's arm. "I'm dying to know why. But don't let it be upsetting to tell me."

"Telling the whole story to someone is what I need to do. You will be the only one to know all about it. Promise not to share it with anyone?"

"Of course. Don't worry about that."

Marjorie looked into the calmest, most friendly eyes possible, and she began to relax in a soft voice. "I was engaged to a fine man who I loved for almost a year. He is someone everyone loves in more ways than one, even my parents, especially Mom."

"Oh dear. Did he break up with you?"

"No, Henry still wants to marry me."

"So, you broke up with him? Why was that?"

"I caught him making love to a long-time, dear friend of mine. That's when I called to take a position at a clinic here in Fairbanks and got on board a plane."

"You left him to your friend? She sure let you down."

"Not she. It was Eddie Frank who won him over."

Julie stared, blinking as words stumbled out. "This Eddie is your friend? Someone who is gay?"

Tears glossed soft green eyes. "Yes. Always knew that, I guess. He lived next door and we were buddies in second grade, all through childhood. In high school we both were cheerleaders where he would strut for the team. In college I stuck to science and he was off to a music school. Even then, we stayed in touch. He was the first one I told of my engagement."

"And of the breakup?"

"The three of us were there together." Marjorie choked on a breath. "Eddie caught the ring when I threw it their way."

Author Notes
CHARACTER LIST

Marjorie Lange, doctor with Native Corp, in AK to avoid past boyfriend
Roger Hendricks, engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures
James Lange, her brother in Airforce at Ft. Greeley
Leo Granger, Dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs
Julie Granger, Ice sculpture artist
Maryann Lange, her mother and retired teacher
Kenneth Lange, her father and military retiree
Henry Wilburn, an ex-boyfriend
Eddie Frank, a long-time friend

     

© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement