FanStory.com - Cat Laugh !by zanya
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Farmhouse /story
Cat Laugh ! by zanya
Farmhouse writing prompt entry

Looking out the tiny cottage window at the poplars being buffeted by heavy rain and wind, Joe guessed the storm couldn't be far away. Autumn's arrival meant storm season in these hilly parts.


Usually, Joe lit his clay pipe and reached up to the rickety mantlepiece for a good book to read while the storm did its worst. Having been an old seadog himself, Joe found 'Moby Dick' was a particular favourite to help him ride out the storm.


Today would be different. Ten-year-old Tommie had come to spend the weekend with his Grandpa Joe.


Joe fretted for the lad's safety during the pending storm and so was at a loss quite what to do for the couple of hours as the storm grew in strength.


'Tommie,' Joe shouted to his grandson who was in the back garden chasing Ginger the cat. 
'Best batten down the hatches till storm Danny passes us by ..heh?'


Tommie took no notice as he dived into the shrubbery in search of Ginger.
Not being  well acquainted with youngsters, Ginger hid among the shrubbery when he got a chance.
Spotting Ginger's striped tail beneath the leaves Tommie pulled with all his might.
Ginger hissed and spat. Tommie fell backwards amid the fallen leaves while Ginger escaped.


Grandpa ran to Tommie's aid and lifted him high on his shoulders.


'Ginger is none too happy, lad, having his tail pulled,' Granpa said.
'Never pulled a cat's tail before, Grandpa. Will have to tell teacher 'bout this one when I get back.'

Not being too sure how teacher might react, Grandpa didn't answer.
By now the rain was falling in sheets. Grandpa heard the back door slam shut. He knew it was the only door he had left open in the storm.
He froze at the sound.
With Tommie high on his shoulders, he made his way to the back door.
They would have to wait out the storm beneath the mulberry bush opposite.


'Ginger, ginger,' Tommie called out.
'Ginger's run away,'Grandpa said.
'No, he's not Grandpa, ' Tommie answered as he wriggled to free himself from Granpa's shoulders.
'Look,' Tommie shouted, ' at the back window of the kitchen, Ginger's sitting staring at us.'


And sure enough, when Grandpa looked at the kitchen window, through the rivulets of rain pouring down the panes, Ginger sat comfortably inside grinning like a Cheshire cat!



 


Writing Prompt
There's a storm coming. Your pet laughs when you start preparing for it.

Recognized

Author Notes
Image from Google

     

© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement