FanStory.com - Business is Businessby egomega
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A hit man promises revenge
Business is Business by egomega
    Best Served Cold Contest Winner 

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
Marco sat in the bus station trying not to make eye contact with the rheumy-eyed old man behind the ticket counter. Every once in a while, he could sense the old guy eyeing his oversized rolling suitcase; or maybe it was just his nerves playing tricks on him.

This was his first time back in the station since he got out of prison, and it reminded him of Maria's betrayal. Even now it made his blood boil. "That bitch," he thought. "Nobody screws me over and gets away with it."

Putting most of his assets in Maria's name before his trial protected them from the Feds, but not from Maria's greed. The day he got out of jail, she was supposed to pick him up at the station, but never showed. When he took a cab to his house, or what used to be his house, he was met by a young man who told him that a nice lady named Maria sold him the house a year or so ago at a bargain price. To make matters worse, when he finally tracked her down and demanded his money, she laughed in his face and told him the money was gone; spent mostly on gambling trips to Las Vegas with her new lover.

The station was almost empty when the 10:20 pm bus pulled in and a tall, muscular man stepped out into the cool night air. Marco recognized the imposing figure immediately. There was no mistaking Vito's swarthy complexion, neck tattoos and close-cropped prison haircut. And while he may have gained a few pounds since the two of them served time together, Vito still looked very much like what he was; a professional hit man.

"Over here, Vito," Marco called, as he stood to shake hands. "How does it feel to be a free man?"

"Don't know yet," Vito replied. "All I've done so far is spend four hours on a crowded bus inhaling diesel fumes and body odor."

"I know how you feel," Marco commiserated. "My first day home was no picnic either."
Vito smiled and said, "Yep, I heard you got double-crossed by your woman, but you need to look on the bright side. We've got our freedom and we can go back to doing what we do best; and what I do best is help guys like you to settle scores."

"You're right. It's time to move on. Are you ready to do the deed?"

"Absolutely," Vito replied. "Did you bring everything?"

"It's all in the suitcase; casual clothes, half the money and of course the gun and the silencer. I also brought a couple of photos of Maria."

Vito whistled softly as he thumbed through the glossy 8 X 10s. "Wow," he said. "She's gorgeous. With a body like that, it almost seems a shame to do her in."
Marco frowned. "Don't let her looks fool you. She's rotten to the core. You're not having second thoughts, are you?"

"Of course not," Vito assured him. "I said I would do it, didn't I? Business is business and I always keep my commitments. Did you get the rental car?"

"Yes, it's out front. You just need to drop me at my apartment."

"Fine, meet me here Saturday night around 10:00, and bring the other half of the money."

"Saturday? You can do it that soon?"

"Of course! I'm a professional."

On Saturday, Marco arrived at the bus station early. By 10:25 he was about to leave when Vito entered the station with the rolling suitcase.

"You didn't need to return the suitcase," Marco said, as he slipped Vito the envelope with the rest of the money.

Vito just nodded toward the exit and said, "Yes, I did. Let's go out back and I'll show you what I mean."

Once in the alley, Vito unzipped the suitcase and, to Marco's horror, Maria's bloodied head lolled out onto the pavement.

"What the hell?" Marco gasped.

"Sorry," Vito replied as he drew the pistol from his jacket and slowly fitted on the silencer. "Maria paid me double to kill you, but don't worry, I'm a professional. I'll make it quick and painless."

"Don't do this, please!" Marco begged.

"Have to," Vito replied. "You paid me to kill Maria and I did. She paid me to kill you and I will."

"But she's dead and you have your money. Why not just leave?" Marco stammered.

Vito shook his head. "I can't do that. Like I told you, business is business and I always keep my commitments. That's why I brought the body here."

"Good Lord, man. What are you talking about? What commitment?"

Taking aim at Marco's chest, Vito calmly replied, "I promised her she could be there when I finished you off."


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction tale of REVENGE. Maximum 800 words. This can be in any genre and can range from a light-hearted prank to a murderous act of vengeance. Clever twists and irony encouraged.
Best Served Cold
Contest Winner

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. egomega All rights reserved.
egomega has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement