FanStory.com - The Round-up Cafeby papa55mike
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
1,200 words. Everyone knows a place like this.
The Round-up Cafe by papa55mike

I've been to many greasy spoons in my travels, but I have a favorite between Milan and Medina, Tennessee. Nestled in the forgotten town of Goat City, the Round-Up Cafe is one of the finest around. They are famous for their strong coffee and best biscuits and gravy in the world. You can get them any time of day. I've had their biscuits and gravy for supper before.

My travels don't allow me to venture this way very often, but the family takes me in like a lost son when I do. Oh, yes, this is a family-run business, and what a family. 

The father, Stephan, is a tall man with gray streaks sifting through his blond hair. He's the cook, dishwasher, maintenance man, janitor, and all-around good guy. Stephan is a quiet man who rarely lets his opinions known.

Lee, the mother, is the glue that keeps this place open. She runs the cash register and all of the business side of the cafe, including payroll, ordering supplies, making sure the orders are correct going to the customers, and she'll help in the kitchen if needed. Lee has worked in restaurants all of her life.

Steph is the oldest daughter in her mid-twenties and one of the waitresses. An astonishing woman with perfect make-up, hair, and clothes. I've never seen her with the same hair color on any visit. She keeps several salons open by her needs alone. I'm always amazed at how proud she is to have 5,492 friends on Facebook, and I happen to be one of them. 

The youngest daughter, Jessie, is a beautiful girl in her early twenties with long flowing black hair, stunning blue eyes, and the other waitress. She will pray for anybody at any time. You got a need; Jessie's got a prayer for you.

I'm crossing the Tennessee border, leaving Kentucky behind to talk business in Tupelo, Mississippi, for a few days. My plans include a "Boom, Boom" burger and fries from the Round-up in an hour or so. I'll get a take-out of biscuits and gravy for breakfast. While I'm riding through Martin, my mind wanders back to the last time I was at the Round-up.

~

It was a brutally hot August day, and I could see the heat rising in waves from the parking lot. The cool breeze from inside smacks me walking in the door of the Round-up. It's full of people getting out of the heat. Lee is the first to see me and exclaims, "Why, Dave, it's good to see you again." She walks over and hugs my neck. "I've got your spot on the counter open."

"That sounds great, Lee."

Stephan cries out from the order window, "Country fried steak, slathered in the window." He sees me sit down and says, "Hi, Dave! When did you sneak in?"

"Just now, It's good to see you, Stephan."

Steph comes around the corner with an order and yells, "Two Boom, Booms and sweet tater fries."

Through the opening, Stephan cries, "Got you, sweetie!"

Steph sees me at the counter, and with one of her sultry looks, says, "Hi, Dave." She struts towards me like a Panther in a tie-dye shirt and jeans so tight you can see her future. Steph plants a kiss on my cheek after wrapping her arms around me, then whispers, "It's good to see you."

"You're working that tip hard, sweetie."

"I'm getting better," Steph smiles, "I learned it from Mom."

Lee speaks up, "I never worked it that hard, Steph." 

Jessie comes flying to the window and yells, "Two chicken dinners, green beans, two mashed taters, slather one with white, and one with brown." She turns to me at the counter with a beautiful smile and exclaims, "Hi, Dave. You in town for a while?"

"No, heading home, Jessie."

"Well, Steph, better get that lipstick off of your cheek, or else there will be trouble at home."

"Leave it there. That will give Mindy something to talk about."

Everyone at the counter laughs.

Lee asks, "What can I get you, Dave?"

"A Boom, Boom, and fries with a tall Coke."

"What, no biscuits and gravy?"

"I better save some room for dinner, or Mindy will be suspicious."

A man walks in with ragged jeans, a tattered red flannel shirt, and worn-out shoes. He has a bulge in the front of his stomach that looks oddly like a gun. He walks right by me on the way to the cash register, and I turn to see what's next.

Lee walks over to him and asks, "What can I get you, darling?"

He reaches in his pants and pulls out an old 38 Special, points it at Lee's chest, then quietly says, "Gimme all your money."

"Well, gladly, honey. But there's barely fifty dollars in here. That isn't worth going to prison. You should've hit us right after lunch before I went to the bank."

His hand begins to shake while tears start streaming down his cheeks, then he screams, "My girls are starving! We've got to have food."

Jessie steps towards him and says, "I remember you, mister. I work at the homeless shelter three days a week. You and your two lovely girls went through my line for supper the other day. I've got a hundred dollars in my purse that I'd gladly let you have."

Steph reaches into her pocket and says, "I've got another thirty if you'll put that gun away. I'm sure Mom and Dad will happily feed you and the girls."

I reach into my pocket then say, "Here's another, fifty, mister. Many years ago, I was like you but didn't have children to feed. I can't imagine your pain."

Jessie walks around the counter to stand directly in front of him. She smiles then says, "I know who brought you here today."

Steph rolls her eyes and moans, "Here we go again. This time she might get shot."

The man slowly finds her eyes then asks, "Who?"

"My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He knows your girls are hungry, and all you guys need is a second chance at life. That's why He brought you to us. Will you pray with me, mister?" She reaches out her hands.

The man tucks the gun away then takes Jessie's hands. 

Jessie's face lights up, then prays, "Oh, Father! Thank You for leading this family to the Round-up and allowing us to help them. May Your love, blessings, and favor encircle them. In Jesus' name. Amen." 

The man begins to weep. I put my hand on his shoulder then say, "Please go get your girls, and I'll buy your supper."

"They're right outside." He steps out the door then whistles. In walks, two ragged little girls, one blonde and one redhead. 

Steph and Jessie have a fit over them. Steph asks, "Can we wash their faces and put up their hair."

"If you want to," the man smiles.

They took that family into their hearts and raised over three hundred dollars to give them from the patrons before they left. It's amazing how one act of kindness can change anyone's life.

Like I always say, anything can happen at the Round-up Cafe.


Author Notes
The picture is of the Mile-High Cafe on Highway 19 on the way to Nutbush, Tennessee. The birthplace of Tina Turner.

There was a town named Goat City not far from Milan. It was known for its terrific BBQ, and yes, they had BBQ goat.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike

     

© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement