FanStory.com - The Jerkby T B Botts
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My older brother always treated me better than I treated him
The Jerk by T B Botts
True Story About You & A Sibling writing prompt entry

I always admired my older brother Mark. He was four years my senior and being the oldest child seemed to excel at whatever he put his hand to. Naturally athletic, he was good in sports. Mark did well in school and was popular with the guys and the girls. I, on the other hand, was a clumsy oaf, was socially awkward and struggled with my grades. I found sports boring and hated being compared to my brother by the coaches.
Mark treated me much kinder than I treated him. He had great tastes in music. I once gave his copy of the Righteous Brothers song, "You've lost that loving feeling" to Teresa Nolan, a gal in seventh grade that I was madly in love with. She didn't reciprocate my feelings, AND she kept his record. I think he asked me if I'd seen it and of course I lied through me teeth.
My brother collected coins as a hobby. He used to buy rolls of coins and spend hours sorting through them to see if he could find one to fit into the slot designated for it in his coin book. He once discovered a 1955 penny that had the date printed twice. He sold it for over $100.00, a fortune at the time. I'm ashamed to admit that I used to go poke out the Mercury head dimes and Buffalo nickels so I could buy myself a snack down at Mac's Trading Post.
When I had just turned sixteen we took his 1962 Chevy Bel Air up to a "lodge" in northern Quebec, way out in the boonies. We hadn't planned very well and didn't bring food with us. We ate every meal at the lodge and were stunned by having to pay the ungodly steep sum of $1.25 American for a hamburger, fries and a Pepsi. There was no TV, so at night we killed mosquitoes inside the cabin and made up dirty stories about women.
Once I had to use my dad's car to take my girlfriend to the hospital. New to driving, I accidentally put a dent in it. Afraid that I'd never be able to use it again, I just parked it on the street. Eventually Dad noticed the ding and blamed Mark. Of course I remained silent. What a jerk.


Writing Prompt
Read All Rules
Write a true family story about you and one of your siblings.
Use 1 picture and 1 color font. Picture cannot have words, music, or animation with it.
Your story should be between 300-400 words in length. A dedication line may be added which will not count towards word length. Two videos (with music) may be included in author notes.

Author Notes
I never considered myself malicious, but after reading this true story about my younger self, I realized that I was as retched as a brother could be. I never did any of the stupid things I did to hurt my brother, I loved and admired him, but I guess I loved myself more. Four years is a long span between kids when you're growing up, so I seldom got to spend much time with my brother when we were young. He lives in Florida now and has been very successful in real estate. I live in Alaska and commercial fish for a living. We stay in touch, but not as often as we should. The picture above is of my twin sons taken when my son Ben earned his Green Beret.

     

© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement