FanStory.com - Beating the Rapby Elizabeth Emerald
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Desperate circumstances merit desperate measures
Beating the Rap by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com
















[Minnesota] MN Minn Stat 609.855 Unlawful interference with transit operator [if no force or violence or threat thereof] ... 
Misdemeanor ... up to 90 days in jail.

 

[Colorado] CO C.R.S. 32-9-160 Wrongfully interfering with any [transit] employee in the proper discharge of his duties ... 
Misdemeanor ... up to 90 days in jail.

 

 

[Hawaii] HI HRS 711-1112 Interference with operator of public transit vehicle ...
Class "C" Felony ...
up to five years' imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000 [boldface rendered thus in the source]. 



Good thing I didn't live in Hawaii at the time of my offense, committed nearly 42 years ago; specifically, on December 12, 1979.

Presumably, I wouldn't have gotten the maximum sentence, given I was unarmed and non-threatening.

Nonetheless, I did "interfere" with a "transit operator."

To wit: I hijacked a bus.

There were mitigating circumstances. Moreover, I acted in behalf of my fellow would-be passengers. I say "would-be" because none of us were passengers at the time of the hijacking.

The bus was empty, save for its driver, when it pulled into the stop on that sub-ten degree night. I'd been waiting twenty minutes; some of the seven others had been there for an hour, during the course of which four Riverside buses had come and gone.

The crowd cheered. Finally, this must be our bus: Forest Hills.

The crowd groaned. Destination: Riverside.

So ... I march onto the bus and calmly, but firmly, say to the driver: I'm hijacking this bus to Forest Hills. 

I turn to the group outside, and yell: Are you with me?

They stand there, frozen (likely feeling near to literally so as well), gaping at me. 

They shift their feet, cast uncertain glances at one another. 

Then, en masse, the wanna-get-lucky seven storm the bus.

The driver bounds off the bus and into the station house, purportedly, to ask his supervisor's permission to divert the bus.

So, here we are, the eight of us, in our seats, shaking, not from the chill, but in dread of the imminent arrival of the police.

We watch in trepidation as the driver exits the station house.

He bounds back to the bus, hops aboard, and announces: 
Destination: Forest Hills.












 

Recognized

Author Notes
Bus Stop Downtown by cleo85 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!



http://www.jpilaw.com/assets/files/ATU_presentation/Assault_by_state_chart.pdf


https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/felony-offense/hawaii-felony-class.htm#:~:text=The%20least%20serious%20type%20of,fine%20of%20up%20to%20%2410%2C000.

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement