FanStory.com - The Naked Truthby Janet Foor
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
True story
The Naked Truth by Janet Foor
True Story Contest contest entry

I arrived early at the dermatologist's office to have the lump on my ring finger examined. Wondering what on earth it could be, I sat down to fill out the paperwork that seemed to go on forever.

I was a little nervous thinking about a possible diagnosis as I remembered what my grandma used to say about what she called, a Bible Bump. In her heavy Irish brogue, she would say, "If you got a big lump on your finger, daddy would take the family Bible down from the shelf. It was the heaviest book in the house. The person with the lump would lay their hand on the table and daddy would whack it really hard with the Bible. After a few days, the lump disappeared, and your hand was as good as new."

These thoughts were racing through my mind when this sweet young girl, who introduced herself as Melissa, took me to the examination room. As I settled in the available chair, she said as nice as you please, "Strip off all your clothes and put on this gown." I must have looked shocked or at the very least a little confused. She very slowly repeated her request, as if I had not heard her before, as she handed me a blue flimsy paper robe.

Holding up my right hand with a puzzled look on my face, I said, "But, I'm just here to have the doctor check this goose egg on my finger."

She smiled and calmly repeated her request and continued by saying, "You are here for your annual body scan."

By now, my head was spinning as I thought, "Maybe Melissa is in the wrong room and has the wrong patient. I've never had a whole-body scan in my entire life, so it can't be an annual thing."

"There must be some mistake." I said as I continued to hold up my hand. "I'm here to have the doctor check this lump on this finger."

At this point, I thought we understood each other but sweet Melissa just looked at her chart and said, "Well.... I'm sure the doctor can do that." And I'm sure she said under her breath, "But at your age, you really should have a body scan."

I may have imagined the 'age comment'.

Then the room got incredibly quiet, and I finally said, "You're right Melissa. I should have that body scan. Let's do it."

"Dr. Mc Michaels will be with you shortly," she said in her perky voice as she exited the room.

Grudgingly, I pulled off ALL my clothes as I thought, "Why did I take my shower LAST night? I should have taken it this morning. Oop! I didn't shave my legs last night either. But thank God, I wore clean underwear like my mother always said. "Just in case you're in an accident," was her favorite mantra.

Well to me, this was an accident waiting to happen. I was not expecting the doctor to see me in my altogether today SINCE I CAME HERE TO HAVE MY FINGER EXAMINED. Now, it seems I'm here to have a whole-body scan.

Then a light went on somewhere in my brain as I thought, "It will probably be in one of those tube machines that I've heard about. Some of my friends have had MRI scans. Since I'm claustrophobic, this is not going to go well for me."

Soon there was a knock on the door and in comes Melissa with Dr. Mc Michaels. It was then I learned that the 'body scan' was with his eyes and hands and not a machine.

"Whew!" My mind is spinning as I take in all this information. But now I'm thinking, "I don't know which one is worse, the machine or Dr. Mc Michaels eyes and hands."

Inch by inch, leg by leg, armpit to armpit and beyond he searched. After several minutes and finding nothing, he removed his rubber gloves and said, "You're just fine. You will, however, need to see a hand surgeon about that finger and I'll see you again next year."

"What do you mean hand surgeon and what do you mean I have to do this again next year?" I said out loud to no one in particular. But by then Dr. Mc Michaels and Melissa had already left the room.

I quickly got dressed, filled out more papers at the desk and, of course, got the name of a recommended hand surgeon.

Once outside in the beautiful morning sunshine and fresh air, I headed for my car. A bluebird flew past me and landed in a nearby tree. Taking a deep breath, a smile beamed across my face. "I do believe I've just had my first STRIP SEARCH".









 

Recognized

Author Notes
The lump was a ganglion cyst that I had removed by the surgeon.

I never went back to that dermatologist. However, he really was cute. :))))

     

© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement