FanStory.com - Football Chapter 22 part1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine's in-laws bring the boys back.
Football - A Novel
: Football Chapter 22 part1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?

Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 23 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After Katherine nodded, he continued, "As for the extra baggage, I hope you're not worried about the boys, because by now you should understand I enjoy being with them. The only extra baggage I see is the way George treated you. Your self-esteem took a huge hit. You should be treated like the lady you are."

"You do."

"Good. I carry extra baggage too. My behavior during my pro-career still haunts me, and I'm trying to make it right. My prayer's that before we take our relationship to the next level, I have put my past where it belongs and I'm worthy of you. Again, I've done most of the talking."

Tears escaped Katherine's eyes. "I'm sorry." She stood.

Gabriel stood and put his arms around her. "You have nothing to be sorry for. We needed to have this talk. It was long overdue. As far as I'm concerned, we are in an exclusive relationship."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 22 part 1

As Gabriel leaned over to kiss her, the front door burst opened, and Jeremy yelled, "Mom, we're home!"

Katherine whispered, "Sorry. Are you sure you don't mind them?"

Chuckling Gabriel said, "I'm positive."

They left the patio and met the boys in the kitchen. After a group hug, Katherine greeted her in-laws, Jackson and Janette Riley.

Jackson glared at Gabriel but addressed Katherine, "I see you weren't expecting us. The boys were correct; you are spending time with him."

Katherine motioned toward the living room. "Would you like to have a seat and stay for lunch? I wasn't expecting the boys until after lunch, but it'll only take a few minutes to get something together."

Janette eyed Gabriel. "It's obvious you weren't expecting the boys this early. I'm sure you wouldn't want these innocent boys around him."

Glaring at her in-laws, Katherine said, "Excuse me, but..."

Gabriel put his hand on her arm. "I got this." He hesitated. "I don't understand what you're talking about." His eyes met Janette's. "You were more than eager to welcome me when I brought in the Quarterback Club's fund raising deposit two months ago. You almost knocked over another clerk to wait on me. There are other banks in town. I'll talk with the Quarterback Club members at the meeting Thursday evening. It'll be no problem switching banks. He thought a moment. "I also remember signing numerous autographs for your family and friends."

His gaze turned to Jackson. "And you couldn't wait for my business when I was ready to purchase additional land to build another gated community." He hesitated. "That deal isn't finished, yet. I'll rethink doing business with your company. I'm switching real estate companies."

He turned and faced Katherine. "I'll return after lunch."

Katherine touched his arm. "No stay. They have no right to tell me who I can or can't have as a guest."

Jackson glanced at Janette. "The reason we brought the boys back early is because we have an appointment we forgot about." He glanced at his watch. "We really need to leave."

After they left, Joshua said, "Mom, Coach, they're lying. They didn't want us around and couldn't wait to get rid of us. They don't like us. Don't make us go there again, please."

Katherine hugged her son. "I won't."

Jordan touched his mom's arm. "I don't know what it meant but Mrs. Riley asked me to help her set the table for dinner and on the dining room hutch laid a stack of boarding school pamphlets. They asked a bunch of questions about school and Coach. They want us to go to boarding school. You're not sending us to one, are you?"

Her eyes widened. "There's no way you're going anywhere. We're a family."

"Jordan, can I borrow your mom for a few minutes?"

"Sure, Coach."

Gabriel put his hand on the small of Katherine's back and led her to the back patio. "It's getting hot out here." His eyes met hers. "I'm not sure what's going on or why, but I'm pretty sure your in-laws are part of this mess. I think taking the boys overnight was to set us up."

"I agree, but why? They've never shown an interest in the boys. Why now?"

"Want to go to my parent's farm? The boys can fish, and we can see what gossip Mom knows. It might be a place to start."

"Sounds good."

Taking out his phone, Gabriel called, "Mom, are you and Dad busy?" He listened. "That's right. I was thinking about bringing Kate and the boys out for the day. We'll stop somewhere and bring lunch." Silence. "Mom, don't do that." Again, he listened. "Okay, if you insist." He faced Katherine. "Mom's fixing lunch."

"I gathered as much. Any idea what I can bring?"

"Just get the boys and head for the car."

As Katherine shut the front door, Gabriel said, "We're missing Daisy. She can come too."

"Are you sure? I don't normally bring her."

"I know my parents. She's more than welcome." Gabriel laughed. "You may not get her back." He glanced around and did a head count. "We have a problem. Can we take your car? We won't fit in mine." Katherine tossed him the keys. "You drive. I don't know the way."

"Me driving a family vehicle. You're really messing with my image."

Katherine tilted her head. "I thought you wanted to work on that image."

Grinning, Gabriel nodded. "Point taken."




CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for the photo of a boys boarding school. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. I made changes again as I posted. Again, I hope I didn't make it worse. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 700 words. Thank you for having patience with me.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement