FanStory.com - Waltzing In Her Dreamsby Begin Again
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Was it a memory or a dream?
Waltzing In Her Dreams by Begin Again

 







“Six weeks, Naomi. That’s my best guess.” The doctor believed in the straight truth; so did Naomi until he delivered the punch line. Her knees buckled and she slumped to the floor. 

 

**********

During the day, Naomi wandered through her family home. With each book, each trinket, each photo, she remembered and then whispered goodbye. In the still of the night, she’d listen for the sound of a soft melody mixed with the salty breeze. She’d prayed for one last waltz, spinning and twirling across the sand. One moment to tell him she loved him.

 

The scent of roses drifted across the moonlit patio. She leaned against the patio railing, realizing this would be her last spring. She’d never see April showers or May flowers again. She’d never have the chance to be a June bride. Most of all, she’d miss dancing with him in her dreams.

 

Tears welled in her eyes as her thoughts drifted to the tall, dark, handsome stranger she’d met on the beach many years ago. He’d been listening to a beautiful waltz and his body swayed with the tune. His smile was warm and inviting. She’d danced barefoot in the sand for hours and shared his bottle of chardonnay. As the sun was dawning, he’d brushed his lips across hers and whispered, “I love you.” 

 

She laughed and waved goodbye. She’d never seen him again, but he’d never left her heart.

 

Tonight, the moon shimmered on the turquoise water as the waves lapped against the shore. She closed her eyes and imagined his arms drawing her close to him. They moved across the sand, spinning and turning to the soft melody. She tilted her head back and stared into his smoldering eyes. As the rosy hues chased away the dark sky, she kissed him and whispered, “I love you.”

 

He smiled and spoke softly,  “I know. You always have, but I could not stay.”

 

“And now? Will you leave me again?” Her heart ached. She couldn’t let him go. “I’m dying. Please say you will stay.” She despised her pathetic whimper, but she refused to lose him again.

 

“It’s time for me to go, sweet love.” He placed her hand in his and kissed her gently. “If you could have but one wish, what would that be?”

 

Naomi did not hesitate. She smiled at him. “To be with you throughout eternity.”

 

“And so it shall be.” 

 

Naomi’s spirit ascended into heaven with her beloved stranger at her side. At last, it was not the end, but just the beginning.


Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement