FanStory.com - Playing Favoritesby Jesse James Doty
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
About forgiveness--a social commentary
Playing Favorites by Jesse James Doty
Story of the Month contest entry


Why is there inequality of forgiveness?

We have a division in our society that seems to be widening with every decision that is made, whether large or small. One issue that appears to be brought up in some circles is who to forgive...and who not to forgive.

What I have noticed, as an observer, is that both sides seem to be playing favorites with who is worthy of our forgiveness. As if we have the right to be choosy on these matters.

Whether on a personal note, we forgive our teenaged daughter for stealing from us but then, choose not to forgive our next-door neighbor for overwatering our lawn is one of many examples of choosiness on the part of forgiving.

Both sides, politically speaking, play favorites constantly with the many different issues of the day...feeling sympathy for the victim of police abuse, but not forgiving the officer who was trying to protect the others involved in the dispute. After all, there are always two sides to every story...at least, that is what I believe.

We play favorites, as far as current versus previous presidents is concerned. We forgive one for their indiscretions, yet not the other, for their insensitivities.

There are many other issues and examples of this in our lives, both personal and political, but by now...I think you've got the idea. Perhaps, you can come up with your own issues that you struggle with forgiveness.

The point is, that we must be equal and fair in our impressions and opinions on every subject that comes up in our dealings with others, and ourselves, as well. If we do, we will feel happier, and more satisfied with our convictions.


Recognized

Author Notes
The title was supposed to be 'Playing Favorites with Forgiveness,' but it wouldn't all fit in the space allowed.
Oh well...thank you for reading.

     

© Copyright 2024. Jesse James Doty All rights reserved.
Jesse James Doty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement