FanStory.com - The Garageby Mary Vigasin
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Car searching in the garage
The Garage by Mary Vigasin

It was one of those steamy hot August afternoons when everything you touched burned your fingertips.
Being the kind person I am, I met my husband in town after he ran an errand and was taking him to lunch.
I left our car on the third floor of a five-story parking garage. Because most people seem to favor silver or black SUV's, our small fire engine red Scion was always easy to spot in any garage or parking lot, that is, unless it is parked between both a large SUV and a truck.

After lunch, we left the air-conditioned restaurant and went to the garage. We walked up the garage stairs to the third floor and were looking forward to getting out of the heat.

Looking around the third floor, we did not see our car.
Maybe I was mistaken, so we walked down the stairs to the second floor. Not finding the car there, we walked up to the fourth, then the fifth, still we found no car.

I was hot, sweaty, and starting to get upset that our car was missing.
We decided then to go down to the first floor and rather than use the stairs, walk on each floor to help find the car.
After searching each floor again, I was soaking wet from head to toe and getting crankier by the minute. I sat down on the garage stairs and broke down crying.

My husband suggested we look on the one floor we did not go to, the roof.

What did he think I was stupid? I would have known if I had parked the car on the roof. At this point, I was on the verge of hysteria. I was determined not to take one more step. We had been in the garage for an hour and the heat had taken its toll. Sitting on the stairs and dying of dehydration was preferable to taking one more step.

He was persistent that I get on my feet and up the stairs to check the roof parking. So, with wobbly legs, I took the added steps to the roof.

Our car search was over.

From the rooftop, I could see there was another garage down the street, where our car was on the third floor, waiting for us to claim it

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement