FanStory.com - One Sunny Night-Chapter 9by Alaskastory
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A fresh start in her life
One Sunny Night
: One Sunny Night-Chapter 9 by Alaskastory
Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Background
Back home in Kansas, Danielle must deal with her long-time boyfriend, concentrate on her job, visit her family, and give up dwelling on romantic experience with Stewart in Alaska.

The sound of a jangling keys made Ginger open their apartment door.

"You're home so early Dani, it's just ten. Your hair is a mess. Did something happen between you and Kevin?"

Danielle brushed past her and let her body collapse on the sofa. A smile swept across her face as she uttered slurred words. "This is the last time he will ever drive me home, or anywhere. We broke up. No more dating Kevin, but I did tell him his next date should be with a gal named Charlotte. Oh, she's crazy about him."

"Like most of the women he knows, but I never thought you two would break up. His idea or yours?"

"Mine! I'm through with men. From now on only work will be for me. Nothing more."

Ginger rushed to the refrigerator. "Let's drink to that. All we've got is a slight shot of wine, but I'm guessing you've had plenty tonight."

"Fancy vineyard wine cleared my view of Kevin. Helped me see what really matters to him is himself. Himself alone. It made me see he has no interest in what I want or who I really am. He never even asks me about my family."

They clinked lightly filled glasses together.

"Someday you'll find a true love and you will know it is real. It will wash all over you."

"Oh Ginger, that is the way you and Tom are. I'm sure you two will never part." Danielle wrapped her in a tight hug.

In the next few days, relaxed feelings came over Danielle. She no longer received calls from Kevin and she certainly did not miss him. Her attention dwelled on work, and also on her family.
She had not seen her parents and sister for months. Since the next weekend was her sister Colette's thirteenth birthday, she gave her a call and promised to drive home to Witchita that Saturday.

Danielle was greeted with hugs when she arrived. For lunch her mother provided delicious soup and sandwiches. Then they spent hours at the table lingering over Danielle's stories and pictures of her trip in Alaska. The last subject she shared was her day with Stewart Bryant.

The first photos of him were grabbed by young Colette. "Wow, he looks super on that stallion, Dani. Big guy like that flying you in a cool plane. What a hunk!"

Her mother frowned. "Colette, such talk."

Danielle laughed with eyes on her teenage sister. "Colie, I've been away too long. You are full of surprises."

Her dad picked up the picture of Stewart's plane. "That plane looks like a Cirrus. Why, it is a fancy one, best I've ever seen. That pilot must be good, or I might say wealthy. Right?"

"He owns and runs a business named Bryant Coal Company. Piloting his plane is a hobby." After humoring her dad, she gave details of the flight and hillside landing. Her hand slightly trembled when she held up a picture of cub bears. She told of the mother-bear's attack and how Stewart forced her to run to the plane.

Colette jumped up and squealed. "He's a hero. Saved your life from a vicious bear!"

"Excellent thinking by that man," her dad said.

Her mother's arms went around Danielle. "Such a frightening experience, Dear." She held up her daughter's chin. Their meeting eyes conveyed unsure feelings not yet admitted. Her daughter seemed uneasy about the end of a more-than-adventurous flight. "I'm going to send that young man a thank-you card. Maybe I'll send some homemade fudge for him and his family to enjoy."

"Mom, he's single."

"Wow. Let me see that picture of him again," Colette exclaimed. "Tell me how romantic it was out there in the wilderness."

Danielle abruptly reached into her bag and handed Colette a gift. "Colie, happy thirteen! It's celebrating time for you."

The doorbell rang and the birthday party began.

Early the next day, Danielle drove back to Kansas City. Her concentration centered on research reports relating to the construction of a dam. In the next few weeks, she found details overwhelming. The company seemed to vary in viewpoints they expected her to present. It wanted her to work out both advantages and disadvantages in building a seven-hundred-foot dam in the middle of nowhere.

The report she worked on contained aspect to both sides. Without feeling it was complete or effective, she finally turned it in to the company president, Harwood Wright. A couple days later, he called her into his office. "I just received a call from a professor you know, Dr. John Burns."

Danielle's face lit up. "He called from the University of Alaska? Dr. Burns mentioned me?"

"Apparently you let him know about our interest in the Susitna River project. He said if our company is evaluating that construction, you should consider attending an impressive meeting. Next week, the University will host a discussion about the dam by scientists and technicians. It will be directly presented to Alaska state legislators and the governor."

Stunned, Danielle stared at her boss.

"Well, what do you think? Other than the photos you took, the work you did there in June was not about the dam. But you've been working on it for about a month and a half since then. I think you would be the best one to go up there next week. Will you?"

"Yes."

Author Notes
Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Peter: worker on ranch

     

© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement