FanStory.com - Finding My Wayby amada
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alone on a street
Finding My Way by amada
Haibun Poem contest entry


I remember crossing my street alone, for the first time, at age five.   
 
My grandmother, barely five feet,watched from the doorstep.  She stood tall, like a sentinel.  Her arms crossed in front, steady stare, without missing a wink. 
 
The sun was high that morning, like an enormous welcoming balloon. The air on my cheeks felt like a caress. The breeze carried the rumor of voices from the nearby open market. The aroma of fresh-baked bread teased my nose, and the roar of spirited voices rang in my ears.

Liberating feeling of being airborne in a magical carousel. No arms to hold me; no matter how sweet those arms. I stretched out and turned around slowly, as if embracing the entire world, and somehow I saw a glow in everything I saw...

The sun stroked the pebbles on my street. Playfully, they caressed my bare feet and the shape of my toes, as my toes hugged their shape--a touch that felt like the rose petal's embrace--and my heart glowed.
 
discovery spell—   
raw pebbles under my feet
walking in midair

  ~  ~

 
 
 

Recognized

Author Notes
A memory of my sweet grandmother and my early wishes for independence.
Thank you for reading my work.

     

© Copyright 2024. amada All rights reserved.
amada has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement