FanStory.com - The Truth Be Told!by Begin Again
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Brothers Grimm had it wrong....
The Truth Be Told! by Begin Again

The rosy glow of the rising sun promised a beautiful day. Megan inhaled the fresh smell of spring. Birds chirped their musical songs. Dewdrops glistened like diamonds adorning the flowers’ heads. In the distance, a rooster crowed, summoning the day. Quiet solitude on a Saturday morning.

 

The garden gate swung open. Goliath, a playful 6-month-old golden retriever, romped into the backyard, closely followed by his owner, sweet, excitable Beth.

 

“Megan! Megan! It’s Saturday!” Beth shrieked. 

 

“Calm down.” Megan laughed as the four-legged ball of fur and the vivacious child sprawled at her feet. “I haven’t forgotten.” She tilted her head and nodded toward the fishing gear. “Everything’s ready to go.”

 

“No, it’s not!” The eight-year-old girl surveyed the gardens and the trees. “Where’s Frankie?” She expected to see her favorite leprechaun hiding somewhere. “Megan, he promised to go fishing with us.” Her lip quivered.

 

“Don’t fret. He’ll be there.” Megan tucked in her shirt, grabbed the picnic basket, her flannel shirt, and a blanket. “Beth, can you manage the poles?” 

 

The happy trio set off for Kensington Park. Beth skipped along the walkway, humming songs. Goliath trotted alongside Megan, leaving occasionally to meet and greet a squirrel or two. It was a perfect day for fishing!

 

At the park entrance, they spotted Frankie lounging near the riverbank. Bathed in golden sun rays, his jacket sparkled like thousands of emeralds. Goliath’s barking followed by Beth’s squeals of delight announced their arrival. Frankie tipped his hat to greet them.

 

Amused, Megan chimed, “Are we fishing with a Prince today?” She raised her hand, shading her eyes. “I’m blinded by the shiny green.”

 

“At yooehr service, ma'am.” Frankie bowed to Megan.

 

“You came.” The little girl bubbled with excitement. “When I didn’t see you at Megan’s house -”

 

Frankie scowled, his hands planted firmly on his hips. “What? Ded ya really dink Frankie wooehldn’t keep ‘is word. Child, me ‘eart is wooehnded.” The little man clutched his chest.

 

Mortified, tears laced Beth’s eyes. 

 

“Frankie quit teasing her!” She hugged Beth. 

 

Properly reprimanded, the leprechaun smiled, “Ahh, lassie, Frankie 'ad to stake claim ahn de best feshin 'ahle. Dere's sahme big ahnes waitin’ ta bite yooehr 'ook.” He ruffled her hair.

 

 “Oh, that was a great idea. Saving us a spot under the tree.” The doom and gloom vanished.

 

“Gaht anahther soehrprise fahr you, lass. Look who I fooehnd camped ooeht, all alahne over dere.” Frankie pointed toward the big oak tree.

 

A nine-year-old red-headed boy, otherwise known as Beth’s worst nightmare, stepped into view.

 

A sickening moan slipped through Beth’s lips, “Noooooo, not Rodney!”  Anger immediately followed. “He’s a bully. I hate him!” Every word dripped with venom. “How could you, Frankie?”

 

Rodney mumbled, “I told you this was a bad idea.” 

 

Frankie grabbed the boy’s shirt sleeve, “Nahnsense, laddy.” Glancing at Beth, Frankie continued, “You ‘ere alahne. Besides dere's plenty o' fesh in de river fahr everyahne.”

 

“But -” Beth stammered, “How-” Tears rolled down her cheeks. “He doesn’t even believe you’re real,” she wailed.

 

“Now dere yooehr mestaken, lass. Rahdney and I 'ad a lahng talk and 'e's cooohm arooehnd. Isn't dat right, laddie?”

 

Rodney scuffed his tennis shoe against the ground and nodded. The “bully” wanted to escape, but Frankie wasn’t having it. He wanted their feud stopped.

 

“Abooeht time you two ‘ere friends.” Frankie wagged his finger at both of them. “Now, let’s fahrget dis nahnsense ahr Frankie might 'ave to toehrn de two o' you into dahnkeys.” He danced a little jig to lightened the mood. “Let's get dahse pahles in de water and catch sahme fesh.” 

 

“Beth, you and Rodney can spread out the blanket and set things up.” Megan handed the fishing gear to Rodney and the picnic basket and blanket to Beth. Scowling, the angry duo moved to the river bank.

 

Seizing the opportunity to talk, Megan confronted Frankie, “What’s going on?” She glanced at the children, checking that they weren’t at war.

 

“De lad lives wit 'is dad who drenks mahre dan me cousin, Paddy. 'e gaht into a fight wit a neighbahr and landed 'imself in jail. Rahdney was afraid and came to de park. I came to 'is rescue, after all, 'e is a wee lad.”

 

Megan’s frown turned into a wide grin. “You’re the best, Frankie.” 

 

“Joehst doin me part. Now let's be gettin’ to eatin’ dahse yoehmmy fixengs in yooehr pecnic basket.” 

 

Megan and Frankie joined the children. The girls set up the picnic while Rodney and Frankie tossed the fishing lines into the water.

 

………………….

 

After filling his stomach to the brim, Frankie decided it was storytelling time.

 

“Rahdney, you dahn't know moehch abooeht me yet, boeht wee Beth 'ere is near family. Dooehgh I dahn't dink she's ever 'eard me mention de Clurichauns, me cousens ahn me pa's side. De were mighty mean folks. As de stahry goes, mahst o' de family steered clear o' dem."

 

“Dey liked wine and wahmen, boeht mahstly dey liked power and de gold.”

 

“Sounds like you, Frankie. You like to drink and be merry.” Megan teased. 

“Are you a Clurichaun?”

 

“Frankie’s not mean.” Beth chirped. “Unless he’s threatening to turn me into a donkey.”

 

“Now joehst wait a minute. Can't deny I like teppin de ale, boeht never a sooehl wooehld I 'arm, especially joehst because I wanted to be mean.”

 

“We know, Frankie. We were just kidding with you.” Everyone nodded in agreement. Megan encouraged Frankie to continue, “So tell us more.” 

 

Frankie began, “As de legend goes, des cousin, Rumplestilskin was walkin’ abooeht when 'e came acrahss a miller settin oehnder a tree.

 

“A miller? What’s that, Frankie?” Beth asked.

 

“I'm dinkin, lassie, a miller is a persahn who ahperates a mill, a machine to grind grain likes cahrn ahr wheat to make flooehr.”

 

“Like a farmer, but he has to grind the grains before he can sell it.” Beth nodded.

 

“So as I was sayin’, Rumplestilskin was walkin’ abooeht when ‘e saw de miller. Wine bahttles were scattered all arooehnd. Well, dinkin’ 'e'd like to 'ave sahme o' dat wine, 'e stahpped and began talkin’ to de ahld man. Befahre lahng de miller was tellin' me cousin dat de King wooehld soon be cahllectin taxes and 'e dedn't 'ave de mahney to pay.” 

 

“Oh, the poor man. Bet your cousin found a way.” Rodney piped.

 

“Yeah, he probably had a plan,” Beth added.

 

“Dat 'e cooehld, boeht 'e wasn't in de mind o' 'elpin ahthers. 'e 'ad a plan, a mean plan.”

 

“Oh, Frankie, was your cousin a bully?” Beth glanced at Rodney. “What did he do?”

 

“Well, one day, as de miller was tendin' to 'is grain, de King and 'is men rahde by ahn 'ahrseback, de stahpped to cahllect de taxes.”

"De miller whined, “I ‘ave no mahney.” 

“De king was angry and shouted at de frightened miller.” 

De miller wanted to appear impahrtant. 'e tahld de king 'e 'ad a beautifoehl daoehghter.” 
 
"Beautifoehl wahmen" de King bellowed. I can 'ave plenty o' dem. 
 

“De miller feared fahr 'is life. Den 'e remembered Rumplestilskin's plan so 'e tahld a lie. 'e tahld de king dat 'is daoehghter cooehld spen straw into gold.” 

 

“Frankie, you’re making this up. It’s a fairytale,” Beth squawked.

 

Rodney nodded his confirmation. “Yeah, even I’ve heard this one. The farmer wants to look important to the King so he lies about his daughter. He never thought about what might happen. He just wanted to look good.” Under his breath, Rodney muttered, “A braggart like my dad.”

 

Focused on the fairytale, Beth continued to moan, “What an awful thing to do. He sends his daughter to the castle and she gets locked away.” 

 

Rodney scoffed, "What magical dwarf spins straw into gold? A real creepy guy. More like a fake!”

 

“I’d be watchin yooehr tahngue dere wit de magical dwarf guy. After all, 'e was family, you know,” Frankie blustered.

 

Rodney shrugged, “Sorry, Frankie! I’ve never been too much into the fairytale stuff.” 

 

Enjoying their banter, Megan chimed in, “I think they’ve got you, Frankie. Everyone knows it’s a German fairytale written by the Brothers Grimm in the 1800s, I think. Rumplestilskin spins the straw into gold three times for her, taking the poor girl her jewelry. Finally, when she has nothing left to give, he demands her firstborn child.”

 

Frankie snapped to his feet, sputtering and spitting. He tossed his hat on the ground, giving it a stomp for good measure. 

 

“Brahthers Grimm. Dat was arooehnd 1812. Shooehld 'ave been arrested fahr plagiaresm and de soehch. Rumplestilskin roamed de land befahre dahse guys were ever bahrn. 'ow cooehld dey know de true stahry? Joehst made oehp deir own version, I'm tellin’ ya.” 

 

“Fairytales have happy endings, Frankie. Bet the king married the girl and she became Queen. All fairytales end with “And they lived happily ever after.” 

 

"Now you two dahn't know de true stahry. Joehst because you read it in a book dahn't be makin' it de whahle troehth. Dere was a laht mahre to it dan dat!”

 

“Ok, Frankie, you tell us your story,” Megan suggested. 

 

As the leprechaun settled in to begin his storytelling, Beth started screaming, “Wait, Frankie, wait!

 

“Lassie, what tis it now?” The little man sighed.

 

“My bobber is under the water. I’ve caught a fish.”  

 

Beth grabbed her pole, reeling as fast as she could, while Rodney grabbed the net.

 

“Wow. Beth, it’s a big one. Bigger than any I ever caught. Wait till the guys hear about this.” Rodney examined her catch.

 

Beth beamed. “You’re going to tell the guys? Maybe, you aren’t so bad, Rodney.”  

 

The young man put new bait on the hook and tossed her line back into the water. 

 

“It’s your turn next, Rodney. I’ll bet you’ll catch a big one, too.” They sat down on the blanket like best friends, laughing together.

 

Megan shushed the kids. “Maybe we should let Frankie finish his story.” 

 

Instead, Frankie tilted his head and listened. He sniffed the air. ”Lesten! Do you 'ear anythin’?” 

 

They all listened. They shook their heads. “What we listening for Frankie?” Megan asked.

 

“Can’t ya ‘ear de song?” Frankie sniffed the air again. “We've gaht cahmpany combing real soon.” 

 

“How’d do you know that?” Rodney asked.

 

“I can smell ‘im.” Frankie sniffed.

 

“Eeeewwww! Does he smell that bad?” Beth wrinkled her nose.

 

“No, lass - A leprechaun can smell 'is own kind; especially when deir family.” 

 

“Who’s coming? Who’s coming?” Beth squealed. “Is it Paddy?”

 

Suddenly, Goliath, the sleeping giant, sprung to all fours and romped across the park. In his excitement, he knocked their guest to the ground.

 

Beth followed. She recognized Paddy and shrieked with joy.

 

Trailing slightly behind, Rodney abruptly stopped next to Beth. “It can’t be! Another leprechaun? Tell me I’m dreaming.”

 

“It’s Paddy, Frankie’s cousin, and best friend.” Megan joined the group.

 

Frankie slapped Paddy on the back. "Glad you're 'ere. Dese lettle ahnes and Megan are givin' me a 'ard time abooeht ooehr families.” 

 

“Really? What's de prahblem?” Paddy looked confused.

 

“I was tellin’ dem abooeht de Clurichauns and Rumplestilskin. I was joehst abooeht to tell de part abooeht mama's family, dey became desbelievers. Talkin’ abooeht dahse Brahthers Grimm knowin’ de true stahry.” 

 

Paddy pounded the side of his leg and snorted. “Now Paddy’d be a dahnkey's oehncle if dey aren't believin’ you.” 

 

Paddy noticed Rodney take a step or two backward. He raised one eyebrow. “Now, who do we 'ave 'ere, Frankie?”

 

Beth spoke first. “This is Rodney, my friend. He helped me catch my first fish.”

 

Paddy moved closer. “Ye want me to toehrn you into a dahnkey, lad?”

 

Rodney stammered, “No, sir!” before adding, “Beth and I are friends.”

 

Everyone laughed. 

 

…………..

 

The happy group settled under the tree. 

 

Frankie cleared his throat, “As I was sayin’, we need to set de recahrd straight ahn a few dings.”

 

“Dahse Grimms tell de tale dat Rumplestilskin retoehrns fahr de cheld, whech 'e ded, boeht so moehch mahre went ahn in dat castle. One, de King never saw 'is firstbahrn, because 'e died in battle. De queen was terrified Rumblestilskin was combing to claim 'er cheld. She took 'er baby far, far away into de fahrest to 'ide. Soon she was lahst and afraid. She cradled 'er baby and cried 'erself to sleep.”

 

“In de early mahrnin, she awahke to a tap, tap, tappin' sooehnd. it was so rhythmec, almahst like a sahng callin 'er. She fahllowed de tappin', stahppin' to nebble berries alahng de way. Finally, de pathway ahpened into a large clearin’. It was de mahst beautifoehl place she'd ever seen. 

 

De vellage nestled between two mooehntain ranges. De green fahliage was looehsh. Flowerin' trees dahtted de cooehntryside. Quaint cahttages wit cahlorfoehl roofs lined de cahbblestahne roads. Beautifoehl flowers bloomed everywhere. De cheldren ran and played. Dere were people sengin', dancin', laoehghin', and greetin' each ahther wit smiles. 

 

“Oh, Frankie, that sounds just like where your home is. It’s the prettiest place I’ve ever seen.” Beth squeezed her eyes closed, remembering.

 

“Right, lassie. Tes where Paddy and I live, boeht dis was lahng befahre we were dere.”

 

“Get ahn wit de stahry tellin’, Frankie. Ahr we're never goin’ to catch any fesh. Prahmised me wife, I'd bring 'ahme fesh fahr soehpper and naht de fesh market kind.” Paddy jostled his friend. “Maybe I shooehld be tellin’ dis stahry.”  

 

“Nah, Paddy, you'd fahrget de best parts.” Frankie continued on, 

“So as I was sayin', de Queen's gown was tattered and tahrn. Tiny pieces o' thicket and berry stains marred de wance beautifoehl baby blanket. As she walked into de vellage, people recahgnized 'er and gathered arooehnd. One o' de ahlder wahmen took 'er to a cahttage where she cooehld bathe and rest. Platters o' fruit and food were served. De baby was tended to, as well. Never 'ad de Queen felt so lahved. Over time, she grew to lahve every one o' dem. Dey lahved 'er, too! 

 

One day, Rumplestilskin’s travels led 'im throoehgh de fahrest. 'e 'eard de tap, tap, tappin’. Fahllowin’ de sooehnd, 'e edged clahser to de vellage. 'e saw de men makin shoes and cheldren playin'. And den, 'is 'eart pooehnded against 'is chest. 'e saw de Queen wit 'er cheld. 'e wanted to roehsh in and soehrprise 'er, boeht 'e knew 'e needed a plan.

 

 'e set oehp camp in de fahrest, dinkin and dinkin o' a plan. One day, 'e 'eard de tap-tap-tappin' sooehnd again. it was combing frahm sahmewhere nearby. Very quietly, 'e mahved clahser and clahser to de sooehnd. By de river's edge, 'e saw a leprechaun makin’ wee shoes fahr de cheld. 'e was wahrkin so 'ard so 'e dedn't 'ear Rumplestilskin oehntil it was too late. 

De mean ahld man snatched 'im by de back o' 'is neck, lettin' de leprechaun's legs dangle in mid-air. 'e cackled, "Gahtcha!"

 

De leprechaun cried, "Please, let me go." 

 

Rumplestilsking bellowed, "Why wooehld I do dat?" 

 

"Fer all me gahld." 

 

“it's naht yooehr gahld I want. I 'ave me own." 

 

“I'll grant ye a wesh. Anythin’ you want.” 

 

 “I want what's owed me. De queen's cheld.” Rumplestilskin snarled.

 

 “No! No! No!” de leprechaun wailed.

 

 Rumplestilskin’s anger flared, “Take me to 'er ahr I'll croehnch yooehr bahnes and eat you.”

 

“Eat me if you moehst.” 

 

“Appalled, Rumplestilskin drahpped de squirmin' leprechaun. “You're sken and bahnes. A waste o' time! Roehn ahn yooehr scrawny legs and tell 'er I 'ave comb fahr de cheld. She 'as 3 days to guess me name ahr de cheld is mine. Now go!"

 

De terrified dwarf ran as fast as 'e cooehld to de vellage. Everyahne 'eard 'is screams and 'astened to fend ooeht what was wrahng. 

 

As 'e tells 'is stahry, de Queen trembles wit fear.

 

 De wise ahld lady roehbs 'er chen and sahftly chants. 

"Wise one, wise one, what do we do? 

“Chase away de evil frahm de one so true.” 

 

She clahses 'er eyes and waits. A plan was fahrmin. 

 

"Now lesten clahsely. I want you to take all de wine bahttles and scatter dem near 'is campsite. 'e wahn't be able to resist. Lesten clahsely and 'e'll sing.

 

De leprechauns ded as de ahld lady instroehcted and 'id in de boehshes and waited. Bein a true Clurichaun, Rumplestilskin began to drenk bahttle after bahttle. Soon 'e danced rooehnd and rooehnd ahn 'e began to sing. 

 

'Hocaus, pahcoehs, dance and sing.

First, a necklace den a ring. 

Reddles and magic are me game. 

Rumplestilskin is me name. 

 

De leprechaun joehmped wit jahy. 'e ran as fast as 'e cooehld back to de vellage. 'e yelled and tahld what 'e 'ad 'eard. Dey danced a jeg and sang sahme sahngs. De Queen cried tears o’ jahy. 

 

De next day, Rumplestilskin retoehrned to de vellage. 'e stroehtted arooehnd as if 'e was King. Finally, 'e demanded de queen to tell 'im 'is name. 

 

She answered, "Is it Kasper? Darwin? Ahr, maybe, Tahmas? 

 

'e shook 'is 'ead, "No, it's nahne o' dahse names. 

 

She pahndered fahr a mahment, den asked, "Cooehld it be Stetches? Melvin? Ahr maybe, Lancelaht?" 

 

Wance agin, 'e laoehghed and shook 'is 'ead. "Nahne o' dahse are me name. You 'ave three mahre guesses and den de cheld is mine." 

 

"Oooh, please, no. 'ave you no 'eart?" 

 

" I spoehn yooehr straw into gahld. Now de cheld I'll 'ahld." 

 

"No! Yooehr name moehst be Jester? Ahr, maybe, Pickles?" de Queen tahyed wit de lettle man. She waited, watchin 'im dance a crazy jeg.

 

 Finally, she dooehght and dooehgh, makin' 'im wait. "Might yooehr name be Rumplestilskin?" 

 

'e stahpped dancin 'is jeg. 'e stamped de grooehnd and screamed, "De devil tahld you! De devil tahld you!" Shakin' 'is fest in de air, 'e screamed, "I say de chelI is mine." 

 

All de vellage men pooehnced upahn de dwarf and lahcked 'im in de jail. 'is puneshment wooehld be to spen straw to gahld so it cooehld given to de poor.

 

De Queen was ahverjahyed. she danked every vellager. When she came to de lettle leprechaun who 'ad brooehght 'er de name, she placed a kiss upahn 'is 'ead

 

 A gahrgeooehs dooehble rainbow appeared in de sky. Magically, de tiny leprechaun became a 'andsahme Prince. Takin' de Queen's 'and, dey began to dance and dance.

 

Beth squealed. She jumped around, shouting, "And they lived happily ever after. Told you! Told you!"

 

Rodney sighed, “Can we fish now?” 

 

Paddy agreed. “Let’s go catch a beg un!”


Author Notes
OOOPS! I wrote this to enter a contest of "mashing" two fairytales together. Unfortunately, when I went to enter I missed the part that said anyone having won a contest in the last 30 days could not enter. Life happens! Anyway, I now have my friendly leprechaun, Frankie telling the true story of Rumplestilskin and The Tale of the Leprechauns. It's a bit long so I appreciate anyone who takes their time to read and review. Smiles to all!

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement