FanStory.com - Satire Can Backfire!by Elizabeth Emerald
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Suggestion: ALL CAPS NOTES in text
Satire Can Backfire! by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

I found out the hard way that classifying a piece as humor or satire does not always suffice to clue the reader that the content is facetious.

Not even if I give a hint in the title.

Not even if I give a HINT in the subtitle.

Not even if I close with an ironic twist.

Not even if I make a full confession in the notes.

My tongue is super-glued to the inside of my cheek. Though my fans are aware of my (dis)ability to be serious as regards my digs at StoryLand's sundry foibles, a flyby may be blindsided.

My trademark pseudo-rants poke fun at both The System and myself.

My tirades about rigged site contests serves as a hook for wry self-deprecation as regards my being a sore loser. (No, not really.)

My threats to wreak revenge for four-star reviews casts me as petulant and petty. (Ditto the parenthetical.)

My shameless solicitation of six-star reviews casts me as puerile and pathetic. (Need I say ... ?)

I shall henceforth append, beneath the text of the story itself (nobody reads the notes), the disclaimer: THIS IS SATIRICAL.






 

Recognized

Author Notes
The Jokers Wild by MKFlood on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement