FanStory.com - A Sweet Timeby pragmatic poet
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A learning experience for me.
A Sweet Time by pragmatic poet

I guess it all started when I noticed the humming birds fighting with some yellow jackets at the feeder

To distract the wasps I put some pancake syrup on a plate and put out on the deck corner.

It wasn't long until several dozen wasps were shoulder-to-shoulder around the edge of the syrup.

When I noticed one wasp was floundering in the syrup, I took a small twig and lifted her clear where she struggled with the coating of syrup.

Using a small twig I plopped her into saucer of water and swished her around.

After a brief period I fished her out and put her on a paper towel.

None of her sisters seemed to be irritated by the disturbance.

After several occasions of this it got to the point I just used my finger to maneuver a fallen comrade from the dozens of feeders.

Well of course some of the syrup coated my finger. Before I could wipe it off, some wasps crawled onto my finger and began feeding on the sweetness.

It was fascinating watching the wasps cleaning the syrup off my finger.

Actually they became quite used to me arranging things.

I went through three pancake syrup bottles that summer.

It was quite an interesting experience.



Author Notes
Tried this again but there seems to be a shortage of wasps.

     

© Copyright 2024. pragmatic poet All rights reserved.
pragmatic poet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement