FanStory.com - Ghost of My Former Self by Elizabeth Emerald
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
FLASH-back backfires
Ghost of My Former Self by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

This afternoon I attended the funeral of my former mother-in-law, Dora. In masked attendance were her daughters (my former sisters-in law), Debbie and Dru; their respective husbands, Jeff and Fred; and their adult children (one per), DJ and Josette. I'd never met Josette, having divorced her uncle, in October 1996, ten days after her birth.

As for the others, I last saw them six years ago, at my daughter's graduation party. Given that the gathering was sparse on account of Corona, I recognized them, despite their masks, by default.

There were several others present whom I identified by deduction; in-laws thrice removed; e.g. Debbie's husband's sister and her husband.  

I was stumped by only one, a woman of indeterminate age and unremarkable attire (per facemask and funereal dress code).

She approached, and addressed me thus: "Hello, Liz. You probably don't remember me. I'm Lorraine, daughter of Aunt Dora's sister, Irene. I'll never forget you, out there, by yourself, whirling like a dervish at my brother Eddie's wedding."

Eddie's wedding was in 1983. My hair was unassuming brown; it's now flamboyant (superfluous to say) marachino. My face, forty years on, constrained from flouting its mask, made up for it by flaunting its eyebags. I was floored that Lorraine, whom I barely recalled, was able to recognize me.

Lorraine continued: "I was fifteen, awkward, self-conscious, watching you flailing, flapping, wishing I had the nerve to get up and make a fool of myself too."




 

Recognized

Author Notes
Two To Tango! by seshadri_sreenivasan on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement