FanStory.com - Healing Dreamsby Liz O'Neill
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tommy suggests they get some sleep
Traffic
: Healing Dreams by Liz O'Neill

Background
If we are alert, we will catch one answer we've been speculating. Neither Liz nor Linda knows, but we do.

Feeling well-fed, relaxed, sinking into the soft Native American woven blanket under them, Liz and Linda agreed with Tommy when he suggested they rest before the next adventurous account. They could feel themselves slipping away.

Liz's eyes popped wide open. "There wasn't any Black Drink in anything we ate, was there?"

She was unwillingly remembering what had happened the last and only time she'd ever drunk Black Drink.

As with the characters in her historical fiction novels by the Gears, she went into the Underworld and was consumed by a murder of crows. She did not want to relive any of that, in any way, even if it were in a dream.

Tommy looked at her pensively. As if he understood where she was coming from, he attempted to reassure her. "No, there'll be no trips to the Underworld for you during this snooze.

"Now, I'm quite weary from sitting here for the entire day. Grandfather Sun is even telling us to let our minds quiet themselves. Let's follow his guidance." He turned the ignition off to save on gas. As the 'room' grew warm, it would help them sleep better.

After several deep-chested sighs, the kinetic energy in their space grew more subdued. Everyone slept.

***************

Liz woke before the others. Looking past a peaceful Linda, and upon the blackened midnight grasslands, she felt compelled to get out of the car. As she stepped down the embankment her feet sunk into the formless crunchy crisp of burnt earth.

Their shiny obsidian-like wings were the only clue for Liz to know crows rested upon the clumps of charcoal. A knowing presence comforted her as she grieved the assault upon Mother Nature and all that had been taken from the people of the land.

Her tears were mixed with snowflakes beginning to accumulate. She was no longer standing within depressing darkness. Brightness surrounding, raised her spirits. Her chant of gratefulness joined the scent of newness purifying all, as the Earth Mother would have it.

The fluttering of the crows' wings lifted the layer of snow to reveal fresh reawakened fields of green grasses. Green leafed saplings were standing on their own. The cawing of the crows spoke to Liz of renewed freedom, a transformation taking place. She witnessed the seasons of loss and death evolve into spring, hope, and new life.

***********

Linda woke to find herself covered in the same soft lightweight pure white feathers as before during her Black Drink dream. She could see nothing, no light, only darkness. Her moment of terror was short-lived. As the angels gently lifted the feathers, light. seeped through. The covering unfolded to reveal a glorious resplendence.

Behind that brilliance was a figure of a man. She still couldn't see if he were anyone she was familiar with. An unspeakable peace filled her entire being. She knew whoever he was, he was very important in her life. Her mind was busying itself trying to figure out whom he could be. As she mentally went through a list, he came closer.

Tears of blessing filled her eyes when she saw who he was. She felt humbled to think that he would appear to her. Linda had prayed for this grace for years. She was glad she was not standing because her trembling legs would never have been able to hold her up. She immediately got onto her knees to greet her guest. Her Lord and Savior Jesus was standing before her.

He didn't say anything. He didn't need to. His all-loving eyes said everything her dear heart had ever wanted to know and for the first time, she felt free.
****************
Tommy woke to find his bleeding hands grasping iron bars. He had no idea where he was, no idea why his hands were streaked with blood. He only hoped it was his own blood and that it did not belong to anyone else. As his vision cleared, he looked around and saw only Cedar trees, shrubs, hills, and more trees.

Turning back around, he found himself staring at his hands clutching rusty jagged bars. The blood on his hands was his own. Still, nothing made sense. It came to him; he was looking for someone. Someone was lost or missing. He had pulled himself up to the window by holding onto the bars. His conviction dulled any pain.

Sage's brother knew he had to find his little sister. She hadn't come back from school. Something led him to this house. He threw his feet against the sides of the house clutching the bars. He kept this action up until the grate began to shake a bit. It was giving way from its hold. He lowered himself to the ground to rest a minute. He winced with pain as he removed his T-shirt to wrap his bruised hands.

Tommy had left the Reservation for a new life but had kept close contact with his family. Recently, his mother had called him. She was frantic as she told of his sister's failure to return safely from school. She had disappeared. There were other parents with the same reports. He felt responsible, that he should have been able to do something if he'd been there. This dream helped heal and free his heart.

They were abruptly awakened with slamming car trunks and latching hatchbacks as others were fetching their fine foods intended for the festival.



Author Notes
References are made to happenings in Chapter 3 and 17.
Reminder: Black Drink is a traditional ritualistic drink made of the roasted leaves and stems of Ilex vomitoria, more commonly known as Yaupon Holly. It is a relaxant, an hallucinogen, and too much would bring about death. In rituals participants travel to the underworld for frightening experiences.




Character List Reviewed

Liz & Linda are best friends the ladies who rescued 10 Native teens from a house holding them in a trafficking operation
The 2 ladies have been walking to get to a garage for their dead car.
Liz is very focused on Native Indian issues and spirituality
Linda is devoted to her religious beliefs
Tommy is a Native American gentleman who invited them into his car to eat and rest.
Sage is one of the girls rescued. We find out she is Tommy's sister. Liz & Linda do not know that yet, nor does he know they are the rescuers.


I'd like to acknowledge Dick Lee Shia for their picture that suits my theme very well. This book is about the adventures of Liz & Linda in Montana. Most of the adventures are related to the fact that they are close to the Crow Nation Reservation.

     

© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement