FanStory.com - MacMack the Miracle Boyby GollyGreen32
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is my story for teens with a low reading level.
MacMack the Miracle Boy by GollyGreen32
Low Reading Level for Teens contest entry

On a special and happy day, Mr. Michael Mack and Mrs. Michelle Mack adopted a baby boy. They gave him the name Macalister. They called the baby MacMack when they brought him home from the orphanage. Someone had laid him on a chair in the Emergency Department at the hospital. When MacMack began to cry, another patient told the nurses about him, lying alone and swaddled in a blanket, just born. The only fact that the nurses had known about MacMack was that he was born on December 21.

December 21 is the shortest day and longest night of the year. On the night MacMack was born, the planets Jupiter and Saturn were close in the sky. Four hundred years had passed since the planets moved so close to each other and 800 years since such closeness happened at night. No one knew who MacMack’s parents were or where he had come from.

“Hi Dad!” MacMack said one day after he turned two months old. His dad had just walked through the front door. He ran to MacMack, lying in his play pen in the living room.

Dad picked up MacMack. “MacMack! You spoke to me!”

MacMack hugged his dad. “How was your day at work?”  

“Michelle! Come here! Hurry!” Dad yelled toward the kitchen.

Mom into the living room.

“Hi Mom!” MacMack said. “What are you cooking?”

“He talks!” Mom said.

MacMack laughed a baby belly laugh. “I love you Mom and and Dad.”

"We love you too!” Mom and Dad said.

One day after MacMack turned four months old, his mom checked on him in his playpen, where he was holding onto the windowsill above his playpen and looking out the window toward the street.

“You’re standing!” Mom said.

“Hi Mom,” MacMack said. He continued to look out the window. “The neighborhood kids are racing each other.” He stomped his feet.

Mom looked out the window. The kids were racing each other in two-man races.

“I can run past all of them,” MacMack said.

“Are you sure you can do it?” Mom asked. “You just learned to stand.”

“Yes, and I can do it on my own,” MacMack said.

His mom picked him up, kissed him, and took MacMack outside. He ran with all his effort, raced every kid, and won every race. All the kids clapped for and cheered on MacMack. Afterward, he took a long nap in his crib. At supper time, MacMack told his dad about the races.

“I’m proud of you, son,” Dad said and kissed MacMack on the forehead.

One day after MacMack turned six months old, Mom was cleaning and straightening MacMack’s nursery. MacMack walked to the bookcase and took the book Goodnight Gorilla from the bottom shelf. He read the entire book aloud.

“You can read!” His mom said. “That was wonderful, son!”

“I liked that story,” MacMack said as he closed the book.

“We bought those books when we learned that you belonged to us,” Mom said.

“Thank you,” MacMack said.

MacMack put the Goodnight Gorilla back on the shelf and took Everywhere Babies off the shelf. He also read that story aloud to his mom and all the other books on the shelf. Mom clapped for MacMack when he finished. He bowed to his mom.

In the kitchen one day after he turned eight months old, MacMack was reading a Do-It-Yourself plumbing book. Mom looked at the clogged sink. She sighed. “Oh MacMack. Your dad still hasn’t fixed this sink.” She smiled at MacMack sitting in his highchair.

MacMack looked up at his mother. “I will fix it!”

“Are you sure you can do it?” Mom said. “You only read the book once.”

“Yes, and I can do it on my own,” MacMack said. Mom lifted him from the highchair. He took a wrench from the toolbox, placed the mopping pail under the sink to catch the dirty water, climbed under the sink, and cleared the clog. Mom bathed him and dressed him in clean clothes afterwards.

One day after MacMack turned ten months old, he sat on the floor in the living room, writing math problems and solving them on his little chalkboard. Dad didn’t see what MacMack was doing because he was sitting on the couch and could only see the back of the chalkboard. Dad’s cell phone rang on the coffee table. He answered the call. “Yes, I will do Daniel’s route. I hope he feels better. Goodbye.” He looked at MacMack. “Our mailman is sick today,” he said to MacMack. “I have two routes to deliver today.”

“I can deliver the mail,” MacMack said.

“Are you sure you can do it?” Dad asked. “Do you know how numbers work?”

MacMack showed his solved math problems to Dad. “Yes, and I can read the addresses on my own.”

Dad put MacMack’s little sneakers on him, strapped him into his car seat, and then drove to the post office to pick up the mail. As Dad carried MacMack in a ring sling, MacMack took the letters from the mail sack that his father carried on his other shoulder and placed them in the mailboxes. MacMack met many of their neighbors and their pets along the route. He liked dogs better than cats.

“Fantastic job!” Dad said.

MacMack yawned. “Thank you, Dad.” When he and Dad got home, he took a long nap in his crib. When he woke up, MacMack told his mom about the day at work with Dad.

“I’m so glad you enjoyed the day,” Mom said. “That’s important.”

One day after MacMack turned one year old, Mom and Dad bought the ham radio kit that he wanted as a birthday present. MacMack wanted to talk with people all over the state. Mom and Dad watched him assemble the ham radio in the nursery.

“Who will you talk to?” Dad said. “What is your call sign?”

“I want to talk to anyone,” MacMack said. “It will be fun.” He set the different dials on his radio and began to speak into the microphone. “Hello,” he said. “I’m Mack Baby. Anyone there?”

Mom and Dad laughed. Dad looked at Mom. “Mack Baby is a miracle boy.”

“He is a miracle, and we get to be his parents,” Mom said.
 
Mom and Dad hugged each other. Then they hugged and kissed MacMack. He wrapped his chubby arms around his mom’s neck when she hugged him and laughed a baby belly laugh.         
 
 
 

Author Notes
My story combines the genres of fantasy and realism.

     

© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement