FanStory.com - A Treat for Santaby HarryT
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Susie wanted to make sure Santa had a snack.
A Treat for Santa by HarryT
X-Mas Phoneme and Phonics Challenge contest entry

“Mom,” Susie asked, “Can we make some cookies for Santa when he comes tonight?” He’ll be hungry after flying all night. I think chocolate chippers would be a good choice. Don’t you?”

“Sure, we can make cookies, honey. Guess what, I thought about it, went to the store and bought some Otis Splunkmeyer frozen cookie dough. We just have to read the directions on the container.”

“I love those cookies, Mom. I’ll bet Santa will think they’re good to the last bite.”

“Okay, get the tube from the freezer and read the directions to me. They’ll be fresh for him.”

“Gosh, Mom the tube is really cold, my fingers are icy inside. Okay, Mom, here goes - Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Wait, Mom what’s F mean?”  

“Remember, Fahrenheit is how we measure temperature. What does it say next?”

“To start, place each cookie 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make sure they are not too tight. Bake 18-20 minutes until edges are golden brown. Mom, we’ll know when they’re ready right?”

“Yes, we will; let’s get busy. Just to be sure we’ll use a ruler. I’ll measure, we don’t want a messy surprise.”

“Cool, Mom. Thanks for helping me bake these cookies for Santa.”

“Very nice job on placing the cookie dough, my dear. Now we’ll pop the tray onto the top oven shelf. Get your Christmas book, we’ll sit in the breakfast nook and we’ll read until they’re ready.”

“Mom, the timer went off. Boy, they smell good. I think Santa will taste them and smile.”

“Okay, my dear here’s the plate with Santa’s picture. Place the cookies and let them cool, then put them by the fireplace. I’ll make some hot chocolate and before we go to bed, we’ll put a cup next to the cookies. I think he’ll be happy to drink it all up.”

“I’m glad we made a lot. Santa will love having enough for Rudolph and the other reindeer.”

In the morning, Susie ran to the family room. Sure, enough by the fireplace, the cup was empty, on top a note, left on the plate nothing but crumbs. The note read, “Thank you, Susie, and look under the tree, for a gift wrapped in red paper specially from me. Love, Santa Claus.”  

“Mom, Dad, Susie shouted, “He was here.”

Under the Christmas tree was a large present wrapped in red and capped with a big white bow. The tag said, “For Susie from Santa.”
 

Author Notes
I believe there are phonemes in each paragraph.

     

© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement