Romance Fiction posted August 30, 2020 Chapters:  ...79 80 -81- 82... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan breaks McKenzie's heart.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 35 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
I know many of you knew CHARLES LUCAS, a western story writer on this site. He died peacefully Friday afternoon around 3:00.

It's Sunday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 19 days.
There is one post left until the end.


Ending of Previous Post:

Joanie walked toward the kitchen. "I think we need an early dinner. We don't want Mac getting too tired. After dinner, I'll help her get ready for bed."

Logan nodded. "I agree." He turned off his ringing phone.

Trey whispered to Logan, "What's going on? Is it important?"

"It's the unit. I'll contact them once Mac's upstairs."



TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 35 PART 1

McKenzie's hands clenched the banister as she stepped down the first step and inhaled a deep breath.

Logan glanced up. "Why didn't you call for help? What are you doing up so early?"

She held up the bottom to a set of pajamas. "Sorry. I couldn't figure how to get these on."

"There's a blanket on the couch. It'll work until Joanie arrives." Logan picked her up, set her on the couch, and then covered her.

Silence continued.

"What's the elephant in the room? Did Parks get away? What were you two whispering about?"

Trey set his coffee cup by the sink. "Good Morning, Mac. Logan, I'll leave you two alone. I'll be back later."

McKenzie watched Trey leave, and then her eyes met Logan's. "What's going on? You're scaring me."

"Remember when I told you I could be called back at any time?"

"NO!" McKenzie did the math. "We have, no you have eleven days of leave left."

He sat beside her and cupped her hands in his. "My unit leaves in forty-eight hours. I need to be with them. I fly to Bragg first thing in the morning."

"This can't be happening. We need more time together." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

He dried her damp cheeks with his palm. "I'm sure you know how I feel about you. You're beautiful, young, smart, and independent. You're everything I want in a woman. But you need to continue with your life. I don't want you to put your life on hold, waiting for my return." He paused. "I could be gone weeks, months, or a year or more. I may not return. I don't know anything about this mission and won't until I'm en-route."

"Logan, I hate it when you make decisions for me. This is my decision. I'm the one who decides if you're worth waiting for." She leaned over and kissed him. The kiss lingered and two more followed.

"You're not going to make this easy, are you?" Logan stood and took out his phone. "I've already spoken with Trey. He'll stay with you. I'm going to my parents."

"You're staying here until you leave. We have almost a day that we can be together."

"Our emotions are high. If I stay, things might happen that we could regret later. I don't want any regrets from our time together. I care way too much for you to allow that to happen."

As Logan walked toward his bag, McKenzie put her hand on the back of the couch, one on the arm, and attempted to push up. She screamed in pain.

Logan rushed to her. "What are you doing?"

He put his arms around her and held her.

"Coming to you." Her arms went around his neck. "I know we need more time together, but I already know I love you. I can't let you walk out of my life like this. I won't allow it to happen."

He kissed her. "Trey's waiting outside. I'll leave once he's inside. He'll take over for me. I've given him instructions."

Tears rolled heavier down her cheeks. "So I was just a job to you? What do you call them 'a mission'?"

"Don't say that. You know how much you mean to me. I don't want to hurt you."

"You're hurting me by what you're doing now. Why can't we enjoy our time together?"

As their eyes met, tears well in Logan's.

Trey walked in. "Sorry. I thought you were ready for me."

"I am." Logan drew McKenzie close, kissed her again, and then left.

"Logan, no!" McKenzie cried.

Trey held her.



Please note, Logan has never told McKenzie he loves her.






Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor
Commissioner Conley St. Louis Police Commissioner.





Recognized


Thank you google imagines for an image of a broken heart. This post has a little under 700 words. Although this novel has been finished for months, these past two weeks I've put in twelve hour days and haven't been able to read this post daily to check for errors. It has been edited repeatedly, but I make many mistakes. I made changes today. I hope I didn't make it worse. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support.

Kids return Monday. We had close to 5000 students not able to connect to the Internet so virtual learning didn't happen for them.
We have almost 46000 students in the school district. Please pray for the situation.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.