General Fiction posted August 27, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
200 Word Story Contest Entry

Swallowtail Butterfly

by DragonSkulls

yellow and black Swallowtail butterfly perched on Lavender flowers by Kathy  Bovee. Photo stock - Snapwire


When I saw the sun glow over the horizon, I went out on my porch with my morning cup of coffee to enjoy yet another precious sunrise when something caught my eye. I saw a black and yellow swallowtail butterfly land atop a stem of lavender that surrounds my porch. I slowly drew closer to examine its beauty. Its intricate wing design had light blue and orange accents.

It flew into the air and danced in the wind. I watched its graceful ballet in the breeze. As it fluttered, it came closer to where I was standing. The sunrise was the perfect backdrop for this serene moment. I marveled at this exquisite creature God had created. When it flew even closer, I extended my arm to see if I might be lucky enough to have it land on my hand. I stood perfectly still while I patiently waited. I softly spoke words of welcome and invitation. My heart was filled with joyful anticipation. I couldn't believe it. It was actually going to land on my finger.

The moment before I felt its touch, a blue jay instantly swooped in from nowhere, snatched it out of the air and ate it.

 



200 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of 200 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 200 words.



Art courtesy Google Images.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DragonSkulls All rights reserved.
DragonSkulls has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.