Fantasy Fiction posted August 27, 2020 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A surprising Lesson

A chapter in the book Felix and other Friends

One Wolf's World

by Cass Carlton

It had rained that morning and the zoo was less than fragrant as I walked in the main gate.

I went to the petting zoo first and indulged my need to stroke soft fur and feathers.
The alpacas weren't overly sociable, so I left their enclosure and found a seat to enjoy the slowly warming sunshine.

As I sat there, I became aware that someone or something was sitting close behind me.

A deep, gravelly voice came out of the air, "Bon Jour Madame,"
There was a rustle of movement behind me and I turned to see who had spoken.

To my surprise there sat a very large Arctic wolf, his yellow eyes fixed on my bag which held a couple of sandwiches. My lunch.

I glanced at the big animal, but before I could look away he spoke again.

"Madame" he said, his French Canadian accent clear in the deep tones of his voice, 'Permit me to introduce myself. I am Jacques le Lupe, formerly of Hudson's Bay North Canada, but now, I call this sorry enclosure home with no-one else of my lineage or bloodline to keep me company."
It had been years since my gift of communicating with animals had manifested itself.
How had this wolf known?

HIs eyes dropped from holding mine as he adopted a bashful, chops- licking demeanor.

"Perhaps it is because I hold the other side of your gift, ma cher Madame.
I too am an animal empath, and can initiate contact whenever the opportunity arises. "

His features spread into a most unwolflike grin and his eyes went to the packet of sandwiches in my bag.

Hours had flown since breakfast and my tummy was reminding me that lunch time was nearing.
However, there was no way I would forsake this amazing creature and leave him hungry and unfed.
"Are you hungry?" He grinned even wider at the packet of sandwiches.

"Yes," I thought to myself, "Well, ask a silly question." I undid the packet and threw him a piece of chicken and lettuce which he ate in a flash.

Suddenly I was aware of another voice in my head."Papa, may I have some too?"
Another voice, just as young, chimed in "Oh Papa, may I join you? Please?"

Then another voice, adult, earthy and undoubtedly femaile broke over the cubs' clamour.
"Jacques, what is this? Who is this - human whose food you are accepting?"

I turned and looked at Jacques's mate. She was magnificent. Taller than Jacques and heavier, she had a snow white pelt and a long muzzle.
Her eyes were a hard golden yellow, bright with suspicion and mistrust. She eyed me from the safety of the opening to their den, her two woolly cubs close to her side.
"Jacques?"It was a command as well as a question.
He dropped down from the perch he had found while talking to me and loped back to her side. I heard a little of what he said to her, but then the barrier came down and I heard no more.
I wondered if he would come back. If he was allowed to that is, and sat waiting to see what the mother wolf's decision would be.
They had all gone inside the den and I was about to leave when I heard an unmistakable voice in my head.
It was his mate.
She emerged from the den with her cubs looking down the slope to me. Jacques came out too.
I waited to hear him speak, but he remained silent.

"No Madame,it is to me you will address yourself. I am Nahahni, daughter of Nokomis the wise."
I felt her power and strength flowing towards me and in my mind I made a small bow of obiesiance.
She was an animal empath of remarkable power and I needed her to know that I acknowledged her superior skill.

I received the equivalent of a small smile in response as the two cubs came running from their mother's side, clamoring to be fed.

They made short work of one sandwich, but I held the other one back to give some to Jacques.
Nahahni watched as he came closer and picked up a tasty morsel. He took it to her and dropped it at her feet.
She ate it slowly, savouring the taste and flavour."MMmm! chicken! " she said, licking her chops.
Jacques ate his portion, letting the cubs lick his muzzle for any crumbs left behind.
Then the rain began again and they disappeared into their warm, dry den.
.
The next time I visited the zoo, I had my children with me and stopped by the wolves' enclosure to say "Hello"

They were all different animals in there, although one young male came up to the fence and sniffed my hands very carefully, before putting his ears down and wagging his tail.
I greeted him with a wolf silent salute, but all I received in response was a garbled remark about a chicken sandwich.
I believe it was one of the cubs who remembered me but whose talent as an animal empath had not been encouraged or allowed to grow.
Nahahni was a wise mother, and I walked away knowing the decision had been hers.
.
.










Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could speak to the animals.? Communicate with them, understand what things mean to them. What a different slant on ecology we would have were we to hear what the animals have to say. Would Mankind's attitude be changed? Is there still time? We may never know. cheers Cass

Club entry for the "All Animals" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cass Carlton All rights reserved.
Cass Carlton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.