Romance Fiction posted August 23, 2020 Chapters:  ...78 79 -80- 81... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie arrives home.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 34 part

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Saturday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 18 days.
There are two posts left until the end.


Ending of Previous Post:


Dr. Gray grinned. "You're going to need to keep those ribs taped for probably a month and a half. I'll see you back here in a week." He glanced around the room. "You're going to need some help getting dressed. Do you want me to send in a nurse or can Major Nelson help?"

She eyed Logan. "You'd better send a nurse in."

Logan nodded. "Good idea."

After the doctor left, McKenzie released a deep breath. "I don't think our relationship has progressed to the..."

"You don't need to say another word. I understand and agree."

Moments later, Joanie walked in with a duffle bag. "I understand you get to go home. I brought some clothes. I was told the clothes you wore in are now evidence."

McKenzie's eyes twinkled. "I do, and thank you." She tilted her head. "Do you know how to tape ribs?"

"Not really, but I'm a fast learner." Joanie opened the bag.

Logan headed toward the door. "That's my clue to wait outside."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 34 PART 2

Logan parked outside McKenzie's townhouse. "We're here. I'm sure you're happy to be home."

"I am. Joanie said they'll bring my boys by later this evening. She thought they might be too excited to see me first thing."

"She's probably right. Big Guy could accidentally knock you over. You're not steady on your feet."

McKenzie scanned the area. "I wonder when the police detail can get back to their usual job and my life can get back to normal."

"Probably after Bill feels the threat to you is completely over. There could be some retaliation issues headed your direction."

"I guess you're right." McKenzie stared out the window toward her house and released a deep breath.

Logan took her hand. "What's wrong?"

Tears welled in her eyes. "I was attacked in my own home. I wasn't able to protect myself."

He reached over and put his arms around her. "There's no way you could fight off four men. Nobody could."

"I bet you could. I need to work harder on my JKD."

"I'm a JKD trainer and keep my skills sharp. I don't believe I could beat four skilled men." Logan kissed her forehead. "Hopefully, you or I will never have to find out." Moments passed. "Are you ready to go inside?" After she nodded, Logan got out of the car and opened her door.

As she hesitated, Logan knelt to her level. "What's wrong? I need you to talk to me. I can't read your mind."

McKenzie wiped tears from her cheeks. "I'm afraid to go in my own house."

"Understandable. I'll be by your side." Logan raised his shirt. "I'm armed. I promise I won't let anybody hurt you."

She put her arms around his neck and held tight. He returned the hold for as long as she needed it.

Moments later she said, "Okay, I can do this." As she proceeded to get out of the car, she cringed and held her ribs.

Logan reached in and helped her. "I'll carry you inside."

"If you do that, you won't be able to get to your gun."

"True." He grinned. "Do you really think I'll need it?"

"Probably not, but..."

"But nothing," interrupted Logan. He kissed her cheek. "Let's get inside. It's hot out here."

Logan set her down beside the couch with her feet on the floor. "Do you want to see if the Cardinals are on?"

She stared at the kitchen. "I was in there fixing you dinner."

"Joanie told me. What were you fixing?"

"Something with chicken and pasta. I don't remember for sure. The recipe's lying around somewhere. Who cleaned up the mess?"

"Joannie." Logan kept an eye on her. He clicked off his ringing phone.

"Don't you need to get that? It might be important."

"You're the most important person in my life right now."

McKenzie studied him for a moment. "I believe you. I really do believe you."

"Good because it's true."

"You didn't leave my hospital room, did you?"

"Only when I had to, but I made sure somebody was there to protect you."

"Thank you for that."

He walked to her, took her face in his hands, and kissed her. "You're very important to me."

Their next kiss was interrupted by a knock on the door.

Before Logan could answer, Arlo barked.

McKenzie smiled. "My boys are back."

Joanie opened the door. "I hope you're ready. They sure are."

Logan snatched Arlo up. "I don't think you should bend over to his level. I'll hold him."

She hugged on the short dog as her hand rubbed Edger's large head. "Let me sit so I can get a better look at Edger's wound. Is it healing all right?"

Joanie petted his head. "Dr. White says he's doing great. He goes back the week after next for a check-up."

Bill held a large box. "I've been forgotten and I have dinner. Where should I put this?"

Logan set Arlo down and came to Bill's aid. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Thank you for dinner. I had planned on cooking."

"Don't thank me. I don't cook, only grill. It's all Joanie's doing." Bill's eyes met McKenzie's. "I heard there may be a donut or two for dessert."

"Ymmmm."

Logan shook his head and grinned. "Why do you encourage her?" He checked the boxes. "There's enough for an Army here."

Joanie glanced at him. "I wasn't sure how many guys would be here."

"Only us. We thought the trip home might wear her out, so didn't want to overdo."

A rap on the door sounded and in walked Simon, Jose, and Trey.

Simon answered the questioning look. "We couldn't stay away. We needed to make sure Mac made it home safely."

Logan's eyes widened. "And you didn't think I could handle getting her home?"

Jose interjected, "I knew you could, but they forced me to come." When Logan tilted his head, Jose continued, "Really, they did."

Logan sat on a stool. "I can see you three are trouble." Then he quickly got up. "Mac, let me help you sit. Do you want to sit on the couch or would a chair be better?"

She studied the couch. "I want to sit on the couch, but I'm afraid it sits too low and I'll have problems getting up." She searched the chairs and pointed. "I think that chair will work."

He put his arm around her waist and walked her to the chair. She sat, and then he asked, "You comfortable?" After she nodded, he pulled a chair closer and sat.

Edger lumbered over to his master. McKenzie examined his wound and hugged his neck. "I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know you were trying to help me."

Trey petted the dog's head. "Logan, think you can procure a bullet proof vest for him. Our service dogs have them, so I know they make them."

"I'll see what I can do." He nodded toward McKenzie. "I'll make sure I get him one. Then Arlo can tease him about it."

"What?" asked Bill.

"Edger teases Arlo about the jogging backpack Logan puts him in, so Arlo can tease Edger about a flack vest." McKenzie continued to pet her dogs.

Joanie walked toward the kitchen. "I think we need an early dinner. We don't want Mac getting too tired. After dinner, I'll help her get ready for bed."

Logan nodded. "I agree." He turned off his ringing phone.

Trey whispered to Logan, "What's going on? Is it important?"

"It's the unit. I'll contact them once Mac's upstairs."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor
Commissioner Conley St. Louis Police Commissioner.






Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of McKenzie's dogs, or what they could look like. This post has a little over 1000 words. Although this novel has been finished for months, these past two weeks I've put in twelve hour days and haven't been able to read this post daily to check for errors. It has been edited repeatedly, but I make many mistakes. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple and discovering who killed Megan.

Kids may be returning early. The on-line teaching isn't working for first grade. The school board meets Tuesday to decide. Please pray for the situation.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.