Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 18, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
They Can Kill You But They Can't Eat You

Trust Me You'll Enjoy The View

by Earl Corp

Your Greatest Fear Contest Winner 

I realized my greatest fear when I was seven-years-old. We visited Kinzua Dam in PA. The dam is 180 feet high, and when I got near the rail my stomach started doing back flips, I didn't like it at all.

As I got older this became more profound. I didn’t think it was fun to climb trees, I would freeze on the second rung of ladders, and I refused to climb the rope in gym class.

When I went in the Army things would change. One of the first lessons I learned was it’s ok to be afraid of something, but it’s not ok to let your fear prevent you from doing your job.

I also learned it’s easier to do something you’re afraid of if you’re in a large group of people doing the very same thing like I was in jump school. It’s a lot harder to refuse to do something, like jumping out of aircraft, when your manhood is on the line.

You might ask why I volunteered for the Airborne if I was deathly afraid of heights. That’s easy, my dad was Airborne and it was my goal to be a better man than my dad, which required me going to jump school.
I never got to the point where I enjoyed heights, but I was able to function in them. I will admit all my jumps were night jumps, I kept my eyes closed.

I served in a Long Range Reconnaissance Company in Germany. One day we were rappelling from a 60 foot air traffic control tower.
When it came my turn, the Ranger who was acting as rappel master noticed I was shaky when I climbed over the tower rail.

“What kind of a paratrooper are you if you’re scared of 60 feet? You must be a coward,” he said.

“Nope, a coward wouldn’t be up here doing this,” I said.

I still don’t like heights, but I’m not nearly as afraid of them as I used to be. In fact, I’m more scared of snakes than heights now, but that’s a story for another day.

 


Writing Prompt
Using 500 words or less, describe what your greatest fear in life is and why.

Your Greatest Fear
Contest Winner

Recognized


Ihad a platoon sergeant who used to say, "It's a small price to be America's finest." Well I paid and paid. I hope you enjoy this, be kind.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.