Romance Fiction posted August 16, 2020 Chapters:  ...77 78 -79- 80... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dr. Gray says McKenzie is ready to go home.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 34 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Saturday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 18 days.
There are three posts left until the end.


Ending of Previous Post:

"Mac, you misunderstood what I said." Logan paused. She's crying, and it's more than tears. He walked to the other side of the bed. "Mac, I didn't mean to hurt you. Please, let's talk this out."

"You can leave now. You've passed me off to your friend."

"I didn't pass you off to anybody." He took her hand, but she yanked it away. He knelt to her level. "Please. These past two weeks; I've come to care about you, a lot. I thought the feelings were mutual."

She pulled the covers over her head.

Logan heard her continue to cry. "I'm sorry I hurt you. That wasn't my intention." He paused. "I have to go back to Fort Bragg in..." He counted, "a little over ten days. I hate the idea of leaving you. I need to know you're safe. You have a dangerous job. I won't be able to do my job knowing you could be in danger. I can't lose you. I know you work close with Jose. Why couldn't you add Trey?" He thought. "I didn't mean that I wanted you and Trey to be a couple."

She lowered the blanket. "Like the couple we're not."

"Not like that. I don't want you and Trey to become the couple we are." As McKenzie stared at him, Logan continued, "Yes, I just admitted we're a couple." He moved closer and held her. "While you were kidnapped, I realized how much I care for you. I couldn't stand the thought of not seeing you again."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 34 PART 1

Dr. Gray came into the room as McKenzie finished her breakfast. "You're holding down solid food. How do you feel about a few tests? If they come back as I feel they will, you should be home in time for dinner."

Her eyes twinkled. "Really?"

"Yes, really. You'll be under a lot of restrictions and I am going to hold Major Nelson responsible for making sure you follow them."

McKenzie glanced at Logan. "You shouldn't give him any authority. He tends to let a little power go to his head."

The doctor glanced at Logan and shook his head. "In a few minutes, someone'll come in to transport you to imagining." His eyes met Logan's. "You can follow. I understand you're concerned about security."

*****
Back inside the room, McKenzie jumped at every noise.

Logan chuckled. "It'll be a few hours before Dr. Gray comes back with the test results. It doesn't happen instantly. Just relax." He answered his ringing phone. "Hi, Mitch. Of course, Mac's here. Where else would she be." He handed her the phone.

"Guess what? I'll probably be home before dinner." She listened. "What other good news do you have?" Again she listened and then jumped up a little in bed, but paused and held her ribs. "Really? Great! There's more?" After she listened, she handed Logan the phone.

Taking the phone, Logan eyed her. "Are you going to leave me in suspense? What's the news?"

"Megan's phone was discovered in Parks' secret apartment. The Buder Park burner phone was connected to Parks too. That number was a frequent number on Megan's phone records. We have him on Megan's murder. I just hope we can prove his motive."

Logan's eyebrows rose. "Maybe Bill needs to send Trey to have a chat with him."

"Do I want to ask about Trey's methods?"

"Probably not. But they're effective."

"Right now, that's all that's important."

*****
A little after lunch, Dr. Gray came into the room.

McKenzie stared at him. "Well?"

He flipped through a few papers and held them up. "It looks like." He paused. After she released a deep breath, he continued, "These are your discharge papers."

"Yes!" She started to stand, but grabbed her ribs.

Dr. Gray grinned. "You're going to need to keep those ribs taped for probably a month and a half. I'll see you back here in a week." He glanced around the room. "You're going to need some help getting dressed. Do you want me to send in a nurse or can Major Nelson help?"

She eyed Logan. "You'd better send a nurse in."

Logan nodded. "Good idea."

After the doctor left, McKenzie released a deep breath. "I don't think our relationship has progressed to the..."

"You don't need to say another word. I understand and agree."

Moments later, Joanie walked in with a duffle bag. "I understand you get to go home. I brought some clothes. I was told the clothes you wore in are now evidence."

McKenzie's eyes twinkled. "I do, and thank you." She tilted her head. "Do you know how to tape ribs?"

"Not really, but I'm a fast learner." Joanie opened the bag.

Logan headed toward the door. "That's my clue to wait outside."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor
Commissioner Conley St. Louis Police Commissioner.





Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of donuts. I decided they're Mac's favorite so why not. This post has a little over 550 words. Although this novel has been finished for months, these past two weeks I've put in twelve hour days and haven't been able to read this post daily to check for errors. It has been edited repeatedly, but I make many mistakes. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple and discovering who killed Megan.

THE KIDS, SORT OF RETURN THE 17TH, BUT IT WILL BE ON-LINE TEACHING SUPPOSEDLY UNTIL SEPTEMBER 8TH, THEN PARENTS WILL HAVE A CHOICE TO SEND KIDS TO SCHOOL OR ON-LINE LEARNING. PLEASE PRAY FOR THE OPENING UP OF THE SCHOOLS. THERE'S NO RIGHT ANSWER RIGHT.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.