Children Non-Fiction posted August 12, 2020 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
magic cupboard

A chapter in the book Second Chances

The magic cupboard

by Iza Deleanu


Did you know that oranges and grapefruit were coming into my house once a year around Christmas? In communist time, the dads used to get Christmas presents for their kids from the workplace. That was the only time we would see oranges and chocolates. It was mandatory to get at least one of each. In my country, we had apples, pears, grapes, blueberry, strawberry, peaches cherries, but no exotic stuff.

My sister and I used to believe that Santa Claus was real and that the oranges and grapefruit are Heaven's fruits. Our precious fruits were always green, so my dad used to deposit them into a wooden box on top of the wardrobe. You can say it was our private orchard. For many years, that wardrobe was our magical realm: it was growing exotic fruits, tomatoes, and even chocolates and candy. My mom used to hide all kinds of goodies there. Unfortunately, those goodies had a short life span: my sister always managed to find that treasure.

I remember when I was five years old and my sister was three years old: when we decided to have a little adventure. Where do you think? Yup, in the wardrobe. In Romania, it was okay to leave your kids at home with no supervision. I don't know how, but I heard about that book "Uncle's Tom Cabin". I even saw a carpet with this image in my auntie's house. I was so obsessed with that image that I wanted to reconstruct that feeling of beeing in the middle of the forest in front of the cabin looking at a log fire.

I waited for my mom to leave the house. I took a tall chair and dropped all the clothes from the middle shelf of the closet. I took my mom's broom and put it in the middle. I helped my sister to get on one side of the broom and made her promised that will never tell mom about this adventure.

After that I said:
- Now, we will make a fire and feel like in "Uncle's Tom Cabin."

- Yay! It's going to be exactly like the one on that carpet?

- Yes,  I got the matches, are you ready?

- Okay, let's do it!

Without thinking, I set the broom on fire. The moment my sister saw the broom on fire, she started to scream. I must admit I got scared too, so God knows how I managed to put it out! We were lucky, the wardrobe was saved and the broom didn't burn too bad. My mom found about this a few years later. I think that day our Guardian Angel was home and saved us from a huge burning.

I believe I always was kind of a curious kid. This incident was just one of the many other things I read in books and tried to taste them in real-time. But I will leave those stories for another time?



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.