General Non-Fiction posted August 11, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Remembering my husband

No One Knows

by gramalot8


I really don't like going to funerals and looking at those decorated caskets....... reminiscent of yours now with too many people saying how sorry they are for my loss. Each one standing at the side of your flag draped coffin, glancing over at me with that so sorry, pity you for your loss look.

I know they mean well, I really do! But when they say they know how I feel? No, no my love, they really don't!
~~~~~~~

No one knows what it felt like listening to the news every day about the loss, the devastating news of our fallen Soldiers of Vietnam! Day after day wondering if you are one of them... will I be the next loved one to get that dreaded knock on my door with unknown Military Brass solemnly standing there, just waiting for me to open that locked, closed to reality door!

No one knows what's it like and how it feels to birth their beloved baby boy... with miles of war separating them from the joy of welcomed parenthood together!

No one knows how long one war torn year can be for a young wife and mother. Desperate to hold on to the sanity of pretending to be that young wife and mother all by herself.

No one knows what that relief feels like when out of nowhere it's time for the triumphant homecoming of her Soldier Boy! Welcome home parties and get togethers with promises of the great and wonderful life that lies ahead for this undeveloped family of three. Congratulations abound for the new beginnings and adventures to look forward to for the rest of our lives.

No one knows of the ups and downs of finally creating a family union. Reawakening of held in feelings during that year of eternal separation. New traditions being created as Father, Mother and Child. Good times, bad times, frustrating times, happy and sad times. But time together to strengthen, hold on to, pray for and give thanks for finally being a reality family that existed for a time in fantasy dreams.

No one knows how real that reality can come alive, or be lost in one quick flash! Two Military Brass knocking at that closed against reality door! Soldier boy has been unceremoniously struck by that quick flash of lightning... killed in an instant after having been in the midst of wars devastation for what seemed like a lifetime!

No one knows how much pain and sorrow of anguish can permeate each eternal night of loneliness. Outcries of agonizing questions of why us, why you, why me, why now? No real answers exist.

~~~~~
No one knows how I really hate going to funerals and looking at those decorated caskets!

No One!




True Story Contest contest entry


After being in Vietnam for a year, my husband comes home to me and our baby... only to be struck by lightning 9 months later while still in the Army at Ft. Polk, LA. Gone to soon but never forgotten!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. gramalot8 All rights reserved.
gramalot8 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.