Romance Fiction posted August 9, 2020 Chapters:  ...76 77 -78- 79... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More information about the investigation is revealed.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 33 part 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Friday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 17 days.
There are four posts left until the end.


Ending of Previous Post:

Accepting it, McKenzie's eyes widened. "What's this?"

Peter held her hand. "It's the rest of the money we owe you."

"I can't accept it. I haven't solved the case yet. I won't stop until I get justice for Megan."

Nancy leaned over and hugged her. "Finding out who murdered our daughter won't bring her back. Look at what they've done to you. Next time it might be worse. We were shot at while Megan was being cremated." She dabbed her eyes. "We can't take losing anyone else. Your dad was one of Peter's best friends. Our son loves you. We're sorry we brought you into this."

McKenzie looked at Logan as tears welled. "Please explain why I have to finish what I've started."

Nancy leaned over and kissed McKenzie's cheek. "It won't do any good. Our mind's made up. Peter let's go."

The room was silent as they left.

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 33 PART 3

Before long another knock sounded at the door. As Jose answered, he said, "Today, this is Grand Central Station." He jumped to attention and saluted. "Commissioner Conley."

Bill walked over and offered his hand. "What brings you here on a Friday afternoon?"

Conley accepted the hand. "In a few minutes, Mitch Gardner will join us." He scanned the room and chuckled. "I guess this will have to do for a war room."

He walked over and held out his hand for McKenzie. "Ms. Morgan, I presume. I knew your dad. He was a good man. I actually remember meeting you as a child. You've grown up. I've heard good things about your work. Sorry meeting you again has to be under these circumstances. I've kept abreast of your progress and understand you're healing quickly. Thank you for discovering this cover-up."

She pulled the blankets closer to her neck and accepted his hand. "I only wish I was on the streets to see it to an end."

"That's why we're waiting for Det. Gardner. He's got more information for us. I'm sure an arrest can be made before this day ends."

McKenzie exhaled a deep breath. "I sure hope so." She paused. "Logan, since I ate solid food for lunch is there any way you could get me a couple donuts?"

He shook his head. "That was random. I'm pretty sure donuts aren't on your approved list. The way you picked at your lunch didn't go unnoticed. I doubt you're ready for donuts."

Jose teased, "I have feeling it's either donut withdrawal or maybe nervous anticipation of waiting to see what Mitch has to say."

Simon chuckled. "It's got to be nerves. Donut withdrawal isn't a real thing."

Bill and Logan chimed in, "With Mac it is."

A knock on the door caused everybody to stare at it. Bill was the first to answer. "Mitch, glad you're here. We were discussing donut withdrawal."

Mitch grinned. "I'm glad to hear Mac's feeling better.

Jose pointed to a chair. "Have a seat and fill us in. The anticipation is killing us."

"Who's watching those scoundrels?" interrupted Trey. "Do I need to be there?"

Mitch shook his head. "No." He glanced at the commissioner. "I found a few police officers I felt we could trust."

Conley nodded. "Please continue."

"I'll begin with the news we've all waited for. Ivan Smart named Sidney Parks as the ring leader." Mitch took out a tape recorder. "Trey had the good sense to record his interrogation, making sure it'll hold up in court."

As they listened to the interrogation, Logan slapped Trey on the back and whispered, "Good thinking."

McKenzie held her hands together as she listened. At the end, she closed her eyes and whispered, "Thank God, we got him."

Mitch turned it off. "Now, for additional news. The elusive black SUV. Well, it belongs to Fredrick Simpson."

Logan's eyes widened as he glanced at McKenzie. "That name never came up, did it?"

As she shook her head, Mitch continued, "You're right it didn't. Mr. Simpson has been dead for almost twelve years."

Simon offered, "It would be impossible for him to register a new SUV then, wouldn't it? Who'd it really belong too?"

With a grin, Mitch said, "Fredrick Simpson is Sidney Parks' maternal grandfather. He illegally registered it and loaned it out for his dirty work." He glanced at the commissioner. "We're launching an audit on the vehicle registration office."

Logan asked, "Any idea who the man looking in the Irish Pub window was?"

"Yep, as you guessed, Sidney Parks." Mitch's eyes met McKenzie's. "Sweetheart, we got him."

"Great. Only we still don't have him for Megan's murder. He's probably guilty of ordering Donnie's murder, too."

"You're right, Mac." Mitch flipped through a notebook. "We discovered he has a secret apartment downtown. We're hoping it gives us more answers." He answered his phone, listened, and hung up. "Parks is in custody."

Tears welled in McKenzie's eyes.

Logan walked to her. "Why the tears? It's almost over." He hugged her.

"These are happy tears." She cuddled into his chest. "We did it."

Commissioner Conley stood. "It's time for me to get back to work. Good work."

*****
After everybody relished in their thoughts for a while, Trey asked, "Does anybody know of any reasonably priced apartments? I'm definitely staying. It feels great being part of this. I like helping people."

Bill nodded. "I could use your talents in my office. You and Mac can work together. You'll make good partners."

"Sounds good. I have my GI bill left. I think I'll look into getting my P.I. license."

Logan offered his hand. "Buddy, I like that. When I go back to Bragg, it'll be good knowing Mac's taken care of."

McKenzie voice rose, "Wait a minute. Everybody's making decisions for me. I don't need taken care of." She glared at Logan. "I can take care of myself. I'm not something you can pass off to Goodwill when you're finished."

"That's not what I meant."

Cringing at each movement, McKenzie rolled away from Logan and the rest of the men.

Each man patted Logan on the back and wished him luck as they left.

"Mac, you misunderstood what I said." Logan paused. She's crying, and it's more than tears. He walked to the other side of the bed. "Mac, I didn't mean to hurt you. Please, let's talk this out."

"You can leave now. You've passed me off to your friend."

"I didn't pass you off to anybody." He took her hand, but she yanked it away. He knelt to her level. "Please. These past two weeks; I've come to care about you, a lot. I thought the feelings were mutual."

She pulled the covers over her head.

Logan heard her continue to cry. "I'm sorry I hurt you. That wasn't my intention." He paused. "I have to go back to Fort Bragg in..." He counted, "a little over ten days. I hate the idea of leaving you. I need to know you're safe. You have a dangerous job. I won't be able to do my job knowing you could be in danger. I can't lose you. I know you work close with Jose. Why couldn't you add Trey?" He thought. "I didn't mean that I wanted you and Trey to be a couple."

She lowered the blanket. "Like the couple we're not."

"Not like that. I don't want you and Trey to become the couple we are." As McKenzie stared at him, Logan continued, "Yes, I just admitted we're a couple." He moved closer and held her. "While you were kidnapped, I realized how much I care for you. I couldn't stand the thought of not seeing you again."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor
Commissioner Conley St. Louis Police Commissioner.





Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of 'BREAKING NEWS'. This post has a little over 1100 words. Although this novel has been finished for months, this past week I've put in twelve hour days and haven't been able to read this post daily to check for errors. It has been edited repeatedly, but I make many mistakes. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple and discovering who killed Megan.

THE KIDS, SORT OF RETURN THE 17TH, BUT IT WILL BE ON-LINE TEACHING SUPPOSEDLY UNTIL SEPTEMBER 8TH, THEN PARENTS WILL HAVE A CHOICE TO SEND KIDS TO SCHOOL OR ON-LINE LEARNING. PLEASE PRAY FOR THE OPENING UP OF THE SCHOOLS. THERE'S NO RIGHT ANSWER RIGHT NOW.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.