General Poetry posted August 5, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Nonet on the Narwhal

Unicorn of the Sea

by June Sargent

Romantic unicorn of the sea
will joust his rivals with his horn.
Ladies never feel his scorn.
He whistles while he flirts.
Together they dive
beneath the ice
to dine on
squid and
shrimp.



Animal Nonet writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a nonet poem about your favourite animal.

Recognized


Long, white tusks break the surface of the icy Arctic water. Is it a waterlogged herd of unicorns? No, a pod of narwhals!
This species of whale is best known for its tusk - a long, spiraled tooth that usually only the males develop. (Females occasionally do.) The tusk can grow to 10 long and weigh more than 22 pounds.

Scientists do not know exactly why narwhals have tusks, though they might be used to impress females or fight other males. But tusks are more than battle swords. they're packed with nerves and covered in tiny holes that allow seawater to enter. This gives tusks a sensitivity that could help narwhals detect changes in their environment such as temperature or even the water's saltiness. Clues like these might help narwhals find prey or survive in other ways.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.