General Fiction posted August 4, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Each day is a gift - make something of it!

The Joy of Life - Sweet Caroline

by Dick Waters


Although I loved Caroline, she was the daughter of a dear friend. I loved her from a distance...one of many that loved her and tried to help her fight her battle with cancer.

I met her only once. It was a chance meeting at a class reunion. Her mother brought her and we talked quite a long time about personal values. I liked her and she liked me. We conversed by email later when I learned she had developed cancer. I tried to give her hope that she could beat the disease. I always liked life, but even I appreciate life so much more knowing how short it is and how you need to enjoy life every day. That's why I titled this story 'The Joy of Life.'

Every time I hear Sweet Caroline, I think of her and remember her hard fought battle.

She battled a painful cancer and still sang despite the pain. I too had some cancers, but I didn't sing dealing with them...the memory of her handling her devastating cancer helped me put my own in perspective. Her battle makes me appreciate each day just that much more...'life is too short.'

Caroline loved singing and she loved life. I put a high value on how she dealt with her battle, what she did when she thought she licked it, and how she and her husband Tony were a 'love-team' through the ups and the downs.

Even though I wrote this, it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. Maybe this love story will help others appreciate the time they have.

*.*.*

It was a happy time. It was their anniversary and the cancer was in remission. The pain and the painful memories were now gone. It was a time to celebrate life.

It took a twenty to bribe the piano player to play 'Sweet Caroline.' He did it, but this establishment was not the usual place for a Neil Diamond song.

However, there was something special in the young lady's eyes, and they couldn't say no.

After a few beats everyone was singing along and her voice was leading them all. For those who loved her; this was a great feeling, and an answer to many prayers. They had fought like their own lives depended on it.

To celebrate this wonderful time, the couple bought everyone a drink. Many didn't know the real reason why such a gift was made, but they will always remember the night a different song was played.

*.*.*
The rest of the story is that Caroline was a 'want to be singer.' She was always singing, even during the cancer's pain. She sang so well, that God must have heard her. Yes, you guessed it...the cancer didn't go away, but it came back even worse. She lost that battle, but we're sure she's in God's choir.

Now, on their anniversary, Tony returns to have the piano player play 'Sweet Caroline' and buys everyone a drink. Some of the patrons may remember the night a wonderful lady, also named Caroline, sang with the joy of life.



Story of the Month contest entry


Maybe this love story will help others appreciate the time they have.
(Image - 'Google Images')

Club entry for the "A Note-able Story" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.