Romance Fiction posted August 2, 2020 Chapters:  ...75 76 -77- 78... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Trey shares information about the case with McKenzie.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 33 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Friday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 17 days.
There are five posts left until the end.



Ending of Previous Post:

As Dr. Gray walked in, McKenzie immediately said, "I'm feeling better. I'm ready to be released. I'm sure you can get the paperwork completed by lunch."

His eyes met Logan's. "I see what you mean." He walked to McKenzie. "This isn't my first rodeo, and I'm in charge. I doubt you'll be released today or even tomorrow. I'm glad your shower improved your health. I need to recheck a few fractured bones. I've ordered a MRI. I also want to check your liver and make sure there's no damage."

"If you know my bones are fractured, why do you need additional information?"

"With you being held in a small closet, I didn't want to risk additional trauma. So I didn't order a MRI right away. I feel you're up to being in a closed space. I want to get a better look at a couple of those fractures. The two I want a better look at are part of your rib cage. It wouldn't hurt to recheck the cheek bone either. I didn't like the looks of it."

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Nope, you don't." The doctor glanced at the men. "Gentlemen, could you please wait in the hallway? I need to examine the patient."

The five men left the room.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 33 PART 2

After the doctor left, the men returned and McKenzie napped until lunchtime. As a nutrition staff member brought in McKenzie's lunch, Dr. Gray followed and addressed the situation, "I think you're ready for solid foods. We'll see how your stomach accepts it. If you need anything, call the nurse. I'll return this later this afternoon and check."

As she picked at lunch, she hesitated, but finally asked, "Where are we at with the case?"

Logan patted Trey's back. "This guy interrogated the men who kidnapped you. Share what you discovered. I know she'll have questions." He grinned. "She always does."

Trey waited until Logan sat on the bed beside McKenzie and took her hand, before he said, "All four men named Ivan Smart."

McKenzie closed her eyes. "Wait. Ivan Smart. I know that name. Just a minute it's coming to me. My brain isn't fully functional yet." She paused. "Jim Benson named Ivan Smart as the man who hired him to murder my parents."

"He is." Logan motioned for Trey to continue.

"Three of the men said there was a man above Smart who didn't like getting his hands dirty. One of them said he worked for the PD."

McKenzie tossed the blankets to the side. "We have a lead. I need to get to work.

"Wait a minute." Logan recovered her. "You're not going anywhere until Dr. Gray releases you." He grinned.

"Grrr." She leaned back in bed. "You're frustrating. I can't solve crimes from here."

Bill grinned. "Mac, we're a step ahead of you. During the night, Trey interrogated Smart."

McKenzie's eyes met Trey's. "When you came in this morning, that's where you came from."

He nodded. "Right."

All heads turned as a knock sounded on the door. Logan answered, "Mark, come in. I'm guessing you want to check on our patient."

"I do." Mark went over and hugged McKenzie. "I'm glad to see you're all right."

Logan pointed at Mark. "This man helped us discover where they'd taken you. Highway Patrol Officers know what's different in their area. His information led us straight to the farmhouse." He offered Mark his hand. "We rescued three other girls held captive. They've been reunited with their parents."

Mark accepted the handshake. "From now on we're going to be more aware of our areas and report anything out of the ordinary."

Jose grinned. "That'll be a huge help. I'm glad we can work together."

After glancing at each man, Mark looked at McKenzie. "I see you're well taken car of. As soon as you're up to it, I look forward to meeting you at the gym."

"I do too, but I have a feeling it won't be anytime soon."

He kissed her cheek. "I still look forward to it."

As Mark left, he said, "Please take care of her."

They replied, "We will."

Trey walked over to McKenzie and grinned. "Do you capture every man's heart you meet?"

She frowned. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

Bill chuckled. "She's being honest. She doesn't, but to answer your question, yes, she does. Right, Logan?"

Logan shrugged his shoulders. "How should I know?"

The men laughed.

McKenzie pointed to the chair beside her bed. "Trey, back to the important stuff. What did you learn from Ivan Smart? Did he give up Parks?"

Trey sat. "He named Sidney Parks as the ring leader." He glanced at Bill. "Where are we at with his arrest?"

"We're moving slowly. We don't want to make any mistakes. We have people checking his finances to see if there's anything. For the next few days he's under surveillance."

Logan stood. "No! The more time we give that rat the more innocent people he'll hurt. He knows we're on to him. He had Mac drugged and her house bugged. He blew up your car. Jose was shot. Mac was kidnapped. I was shot at while my sister was cremated. I don't want to keep adding to this list. He knows Smart's missing. The more time we give him the more time he has to destroy evidence. He needs to be arrested now."

McKenzie's eyes met Bill's. "I agree with Logan. The more time we give him the better chance he has of escaping.

All heads turned when they heard a knock on the door.

Bill opened the door. "Peter, Nancy what brings you here?" He shook Peters hand and gave Nancy a hug.

Logan kissed Nancy's cheek. "Mom, what's going on?"

She walked to McKenzie's bed. "Good afternoon, McKenzie. We're sorry this happened. Peter has something for you." She glanced at her husband.

Peter offered McKenzie an envelope. "We want you to have this."

Accepting it, McKenzie's eyes widened. "What's this?"

Peter held her hand. "It's the rest of the money we owe you."

"I can't accept it. I haven't solved the case yet. I won't stop until I get justice for Megan."

Nancy leaned over and hugged her. "Finding out who murdered our daughter won't bring her back. Look at what they've done to you. Next time it might be worse. We were shot at while Megan was being cremated." She dabbed her eyes. "We can't take losing anyone else. Your dad was one of Peter's best friends. Our son loves you. We're sorry we brought you into this."

McKenzie looked at Logan as tears welled. "Please explain why I have to finish what I've started."

Nancy leaned over and kissed McKenzie's cheek. "It won't do any good. Our mind's made up. Peter let's go."

The room was silent as they left.



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of what Arlo and Edger might look like. It has absolutely nothing to do with the post. I got tired of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. This post has a little over 900 words. I finished this novel months ago. There's a sentence in this post I've rewritten every day. I hope somebody gives me help with it. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple and discovering who killed Megan.

TEACHERS START BACK TO SCHOOL WEDNESDAY. THE KIDS, SORT OF RETURN THE 17TH, BUT IT WILL BE ON-LINE TEACHING SUPPOSEDLY UNTIL SEPTEMBER 8TH, THEN PARENTS WILL HAVE A CHOICE TO SEND KIDS TO SCHOOL OR ON-LINE LEARNING. PLEASE PRAY FOR THE OPENING UP OF THE SCHOOLS. THERE'S NO RIGHT ANSWER RIGHT NOW.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.